1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My 2 year old 75

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brtfreud, Dec 4, 2008.

1. That's horrible! It's so pretty too. Shame.

2. brtfreud

brtfreud Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    h2o is correct that I had a medium crash. I was in DC on vacation when a fish decided to die in my powerhead and proceeded to spray ammonia onto the corals. Atleast I think that is what caused it...could of been a combination of things. I don't think I will ever know.

The tank is really bouncing back well though, which is really good because I would have had to break the whole thing down before a complete crash. I am going to move in 1-2 years and didn't want to lose all the coral. I was literly a day or two away from posting a come get it thread.

In the end the only corals taking a serious hit were my green slimer (very weird), ORA neon green birdsnest(lost almost the whole thing), armor of god zoas, blue stag, purple monster (over rated), pink birdsnest, and Oregon blue tort. In retrospect it could have been a lot worse and my non-reef friends seem to think I am over reacting, but they don't obsess over the little things like us reefers do.

With that being said, I was able to stop the STN by generating some large/medium sized frags of blue tort and green slimer. They are currently growing out, but are doing really well. I am torn about what to do with them...

I also have two frags of neon green polyp ORA toadstool leather encrusted onto some rocks. Its the one in the top right corner and really is a pretty piece. If anyone is interested shoot me a pm.

On a positive note, here are some pics from the fish tank at the Natural history museum. It was amazing and perhaps the best display tank I have ever seen at a public venue. I feel like I must share something positive about my DC trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lincoln at night, always worth seeing.

[​IMG]

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Glad you were able to save it. To see such a great looking tank completely crash would have been such a shame!

--AJ

4. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brett, I have about a 1" frag of the blue stag growing pretty well and a TON of that pink Bird's nest you gave me. Let me know if you want some of the nest and you can come pick it up! I'll have to let the stag grow out a little bit first though.

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    So I was at Bret's house this afternoon for some Cheato and a frag (big thanks, by the way!), and after reading this thread and the medium crash, I guess I was expecting some visible devastation.
    Suffice to say that this is still one of the better looking tanks in the area - great coloration, growth, nice mix of specimens and presentation.
    Had he not shown me the areas where the corals used to be and described what had happened, I would have never known.
    Pics of this tank don't do it justice - it must be seen in person to be appreciated!
    Nice tank, Bret!
    -Eric