1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need Chaeto, caulerpa, pods

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by bobsfish, Mar 17, 2010.

1. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Looking for a handful of macro for my sump, and some pods....let me know.

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have all of the above. You can get some when you stop by for frags.

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I should have picked some up when I was over there. Let me know if you have enough extra for me too...

--AJ

4. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks JB. Let me know what evening would work for you.

5. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Make sure you harvest your macro algae every two weeks or so. The life cycle of the algae isn't long and the parts that die release the nutrients it had back into your tank.

6. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tip...how do I recognize the parts that die? or, is it obvious?

7. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its not so much individual cells as much as when it reaches critical mass in the space that its in. It should not be in a tight wound up mess. If you harvest regularly, there won't be a significant die of to effect your system. Chaeto should be able to tumble freely in the water flow. So when you harvest chaeto spread it out loosely.

Also make sure you do have some nitrates for the algae. If not enogh are present it will starve and caulerpa will turn into a gelatine like soup. Plus corals feed off nitrates as well. If you starve the algae, you also starve corals.