1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New bulbs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigBlue, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Sorry about helping you get some low PAR bulbs Monty, I guess I assumed you did your homework on them and thats why you wanted them. I just figured the 400 watters have fairly decent PAR, that the 175's would be good too....like you said live and learn. You can get higher PAR bulbs next year, or i guess you could try and sell them and get the bulbs you want.

2. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't worry about it fellas I like the way it looks so its cool. Next time I will do a little more resurch.

3. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ran XM 20k 175w bulbs on my tank for about a year. While my growth was not great the color and overall look of the tank was really good. Just make sure that all the other parameters are correct for good growth and you will be happy with the results. Montiporas and sps towards the top of my tank always did well.
    Billy

4. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ya see all my sps is at the very top of my tank. As long as I get some good color and polyp extension (Jermey tell me your secrete)/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

5. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BigBlue on 11/10/2007 11:06 AM
    (Jermey tell me your secrete)/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif
    I wouldn't want to know. [​IMG]  Just giving you crap, Monty!
    Seriously though, if you feel you're not getting enough light you can always lower your lights to help make up for the lower output of the XM's.

6. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

im kind of at a loss on the par of bulbs, ive read quite a few posts about bulb par and the red spectrum of light not penetrating more than 2 feet of water anyways.

isnt it true that most corals are at far further depths than what the red spectrum penetrates?.

not trying to start an argument just asking a question.

7. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't get it either.

8. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BigBlue, i hope you have better luck with your 20,000k's than i did. Hardly any SPS growth at all. I just switched them out a month ago for xm 10,000k, and i swear i can see the growth already from my sps. I will agree the 20,000 looked better though. Good luck

9. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Monty, I think you will be ok with those bulbs. Heck my 150 watters grow sps.. they just don't hold color too well, but it's also 22" deep. I know the 150 watters I have can't be pushing much more than 20 PPFD. I think you will be fine for how shallow the tank is.

10. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hope so. I really hope they get some color though.

11. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like 10K or 14K 175 watt MH's supplimented by either VHO or PC actinics. I would say I love T5, but I have never owned them. They do look sweet though.

12. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My 20K 175 watt xm's were so blue I never could tell if my dual 96 watt pc actinics were on... They sure make the greens pop though.

13. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow my XM 20ks are not that blue./site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/confused.gif I was glad I had just put some actinic on my tank.

14. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think every other bulb XM ships is a differnt "K" , i know 2 out of 3 10,000k bulbs.i got are white the other one is yellow..

15. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you haven't tried it already, I would start adjusting the orientation of the nipple on the bulbs.  The color can change quite a bit depending on where you have them.  The most popular is at the 12 o'clock position.  I truly believe each bulb is different though.
    I have also found that changing it every 10 minutes doesn't allow it enough time to "settle" into the new position.  I would change it at a rate of one hour position a day until you see a notable change.  In the picture below, I have circled it for ya.  Sounds kind of funny?  Yeah, it does...but it also works! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I like the way the lights look now so I'm not going to twist my nipple/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/w00t.gif

17. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought you just said that your bulbs weren't that blue?  Sounded like you were expecting more...  Come on Monty, give 'em a twist! [​IMG]

18. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, I was just saying that my lights were not that blue. I think if the lights are to blue it looks kind of funny on a tank that is not very deep. So I like my lights right were they are. (nipple twisting HA thats funny/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/laugh.gif)

19. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Oh noo...you did not just say NIPPLE!

20. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/laugh.gif