1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New CR Member

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rmclaughlin, Mar 3, 2014.

1. rmclaughlin

Atkins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hey Everyone! I just joined GIRS last week, and I have had an amazing experience so far! I've bought coral from a few local members already - walker1 and MillerTime. I also met Joe and Mike at Coral Haven last week. I probably wouldn't have met any of these people or had access to all the amazing coral I've picked up without GIRS. I'm really excited to meet more of you and learn a lot along the way.
    A little about my tank. I've done freshwater most my life and always wanted to do saltwater. Everyone always told me how much harder it was though. My son is almost three, and like most, he loved Finding Nemo. I decided this was the perfect excuse to set up a saltwater tank. I bought a 29G nanocube and have had that running for two years now. We had our fair share of trials and tribulations, but we absolutely love the tank. We have two clowns hosted in a RBTA, Ruby Red Dragonette, and a bicolor Dottyback. For coral we have green frogspawn, purple frogspawn, hammer, duncan, red mushrooms, chili, neon candy canes, teal candy canes, war, blastos, armor of gods, rastas, daisy polyps, and a huge dragon soul.
    I've played with modifying the cube quite a bit. I added a skimmer, a tumbler running NP Active Pearls, and a BRS GFO/Carbon reactor. The good thing is that all of these are large enough that I can switch them to a bigger tank someday. The biggest problem we have is that our house is new and very open with large windows. We have tons of space for a larger tank but no real good location. I'm looking now into removing the hood and adding an AI Hydra. Sorry for all the rambling. I'll add a pic later once everything wakes up.

2. Crystal formerly swcrys

Crystal formerly swcrys Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the group. This is a great place to get answers to just about all your questions. And as you mentioned corals from local reef keepers. I have loved being a member of this group. Way to many benefits to expain. Good Luck and looking forward tot he pictures.

3. Allen

Allen

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the group...great to have another member in CR area.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  4. welcome!

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! Keep a close watch on the "Cedar Rapids/Iowa City" regional forum for local activities. We try to meet about once a month for a variety of social gatherings and informational meetings. April 5th is Spring Fest in Des Moines, which is a great way to purchase a variety of coral frags for a reasonable price, chat with other hobbyists, and hear some well-known speakers. Also in April we will be having a "Tank Tour" in Cedar Rapids which is a series of 4 or 5 house visits to see each others tank setups with the last stop being a little bit more of a social gathering/meal.

Look forward to meeting you!

6. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club and feel free to browse around. Lee included some very fun stuff coming up in the area.

KP

7. rmclaughlin

Atkins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thank you all for the welcome! I am very excited to get more involved.

8. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You cant go wrong with this grouup. There are a bunch of people that will help out willingly.

9. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

10. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Welcome to the club and the group. Hope to meet you at one of the local events.

11. klmule Well-Known ReefKeeper

Belle Plaine
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!!! Lots of experience and a wealth of knowledge here so feel free to ask questions.

12. rmclaughlin

Atkins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again everyone. This group has really helped explode my passion. Just added an AI Hydra today. We'll see how everything likes it in the next few weeks. Can't wait to meet more of you in the upcoming events.

13. Allen

Allen

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! Lot of good people here!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015