1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New tank help

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Soukup, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Soukup

Soukup Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all and I wanted o say I am glad to be apart of the group. I am a new beginner with this, and can really use some advice to start my tank. I have a 50 gallon tank and a Aquaclear 110 power filter, I will be needing advice and help to determine next step and equipment. I have googled a lot of information and I don't know what's the better way to go so I know this Society would. I know a clown fish and seahorse at two of the 4 or 5 max fish we wanted to be apart of our tank. I think being a novice I should stay away from a reef tank but at the same time I am kind of stuck and need a guide on my next step. Budget is open really but I would Ike to keep equipment down around 500-700 if possible. Of course less is better two but I know led lights are expensive. Please any alive is very much appreciated. Guess below are one of the major questions at this point that I have keeping in mind I am new to this and don't want to get overwhelmed, I would like to start nice tank and maybe progress fromk there.

Thanks for listening and support.

Is my filter good enough for tank?

Do I need a heater?

What ese do I need equipment wise?

Should i stay with just Anemone and not coral reef?

Is the link to these Led lights below a good light for this tank if I buy (2)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/120W-Aquarium-Coral-Reef-Fish-Tank-White-Blue-LED-Light-BLACK-Free-P-P-US-Seller/200947977943?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D251245307503301353%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D190877340678%26

2. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    seahorses and or anemones are not for beginners, you really need to get your hands wet for a little while before you get into them. I strongly feel that Coral is much easier and more forgiving then fish in many cases so I wouldn't be shy about going into those by any means, just be sure to have the right equipment, and do research on the equipment before you make any purchases, not a fan of those lights, and by the time the auction ends they will still be about 250-300 bucks each, notice the reserve has not yet been met on these.

For a 50 gal tank you will need a skimmer and a heater and something for flow in the tank.

3. Soukup

Soukup Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thnx for information. Lights sell for an average of $100, since that is what reserve is at. Would you still say no.

4. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I still would steer away. I have seen lights like them over many tanks at frag shows, they are re badged value fixtures and I feel you will end up regretting the choice after you get a little more knowledge under your belt.

5. Soukup

Soukup Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can you suggest decent light for why I wanted to do.

6. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    If your looking for a lower cost led...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evergrow-Dimmable-Full-Spectrum-D120-120W-LED-Light-For-Reef-saltwater-aquarium-/330900426092?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0b33cd6c

I've been happy with them.

7. Soukup

Soukup Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thnx for link, I just was looking at them and reading about that exact one. Would I need to for my tank or woud one give off enough.?

Thnx again...

8. Soukup

Soukup Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thnx

9. mpivit Well-Known ReefKeeper

Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    1 have 3 over a five foot tank, I believe 2 over a 4 foot tank is recommended.
    I only run mine at about 50%

10. Soukup

Soukup Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you go by water temp?, what's the best way to tell. I'm told water is needed to be about 75/78, is that correct?

11. Soukup

Soukup Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where can I buy a good coral to start in tank?

12. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    if u ever make it to fort dodge let me know & I can give u good idea of wat is needed in this hobby.& u can stare at my tank a lil too.

patience is the Golden Rule of Reef Keeping.

13. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015