1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New Teacher/Classroom Tank!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dchsapes, Sep 17, 2013.

1. dchsapes

dchsapes New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hello! My name is Ryan and I teach general and AP Environmental Science in West Des Moines. We have had a reef tank set-up for over a year now and we use it for research and observation in the classes. We also have brine shrimp culture that we keep going for food and other experiments. Our classroom tank is a 40 gallon breeder with 30lbs live rock and an eshops skimmer. There is also a biowheel for extra water flow and to help make up for our lack of live rock. The lighting is a 4 ft 4 lamp t5 fixture hanging from the ceiling with 1 actinic and 3 full spectrum. We have 1 resident percula clown, 1 large anthelia colony, and 3 small pulsating xenia colonies. The clean-up crew is 2 emerald crabs, 2 blue-legged hermit crabs, 2 peppermint shrimp, and 4 turbo snails. The kids really enjoy the tank and many of them come in early just to check it out and it has inspired a few to start up the reefer hobby! Most of what we have was either donated from past students or purchased using grant money.

I hope to network and perhaps get some experiment ideas from this group!

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    That's great. Anything that gets students more involved and educated on marine life is awesome. Post up some pics of the tank sometime.

3. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Its very cool to see this kind of work in our class rooms more and more. Education is very important when it comes to our Coral Reefs and the Ocean.

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Ryan, is this at VHS? I'm in WDM and our daughter is a senior, would like to stop in and see it sometime.

5. dchsapes

dchsapes New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, I teach at Dowling, I'll try to get some pictures posted soon. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

6. dchsapes

dchsapes New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here is a link to a live stream of the tank. It will be on all weekend. Its a practice run for a nocturnal observation lab I will have my students do - this way they can see all the cool crabs and shrimp that normall hide during the day (hopefully!). This might fail big time, so if you happen to check it out leave me some feedback so I can trouble shoot before I assign it as homework. The day of the real assignment I will bait the tank in front the camera in hopes of getting more action. Last time I tried this the computer shut down on me!

http://ustre.am/14zNv

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    cool feed, looks a little cloudy but that could be more the lighting reflection and the camera.

8. dchsapes

dchsapes New User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It is a little cloudy right now, a few weeks ago I had a powerhead come loose and stir up a bunch of sand and then I had a phytobloom that is *slowly* going away... I also just checked it and it is pitch black since the timer went off so I'm going going to try to rig up DIY LED moonlight out of some old blue LED christmas lights. Hopefully it will be enough to allow for some night-time viewing!/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif The lights should come back on at 8am.