1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New To Girs & Saltwater

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jim, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Hello all!!

I am brand new to saltwater and I am piecing together my 1st tank it is a 65 gallon tank and stand I will have a protein skimmer and led lights I am in search of alot of things like 2 heaters a sump and anything else you guys can think of I would need I have alot of help from the couple I am buying tank from but just eager to start and really in need of my sump so if anybody has one please let me know!!!

Thanks, Jim

2. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Welcome aboard Jim!! Have you checked our Buy/Sell/Trade forum? There are usually good buys there :0)

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Jim - Welcome to GIRS you found the right place to get help. Not sure how handy you are, but have you considered creating your own sump with an old tank and some baffles siliconed in?

4. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Hey Jim,

Welcome to the site! I would echo that a custom sump is a great way to start and can be inexpensive. Right now Petco has their $1 a gallon sale going on and that would be a good way to start. With $10-$15 you can have all the glass you need cut for the tank and silicone it into place!

If you have questions ask.

5. Thank you for the suggestions I welcome them with open arms trust me I just done feel comfortable with my handyman skills to make one so I did find one for 100.00 on here and will be purchasing that. still looking for heaters and pumps to circulate water

6. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I'm happy you found a sump here :0) Dr's Foster and Smith have free shipping at $49 so you might find a heater and some powerheads very reasonably priced there. I would recommend the EboJager heaters and Hydor Korallia for flow if you are on a budget. Temperature control is a biggie as heaters tend to get stuck in the "on" position so you might want to consider one with a controller...but, if you REALLY want to go the best way...consider getting an Apex or Reefkeeper aquarium controller. You can find a video (and more) about them at Bulk Reef Supply (BRS). It's worth checking those out before you buy a heater (and even powerheads). You'll save yourself some money in the long run buy researching and asking questions here :0)

Looking forward to seeing your tank progress...and we like pictures too!! Happy reefing!

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Welcome to the site. If you need help with your new adventure just ask away. There are a lot of great members in this club and the CR area that are more than willing to lend a hand.
    If you want to stop over and check out a tank, my door is always open.

8. I am thinking a may need some more live rock is all so if anybody has any or any suggestions let me know on here or text me 319-899-1176

9. 1 thing I found out I do need yet is an overflow any ideas???

10. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    As long as the tank is not tempered drill it and use something like the glass holes overflow, or we have a couple club members that do acrylic work that could make something very similar.
    http://www.glass-holes.com/Complete-Overflow-Kits_c3.htm