1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New to salt - 30g build

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by RyenB, Dec 28, 2013.

1. RyenB

RyenB Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've had a successful 60 gallon african cichlid tank going for a few years and I love it. I have a 30 gallon tank that is fresh water that I would like to convert to salt. Its a Marineland Eclipse with the hood filter light biowheel set up. after sanitizing the tank where do I start? Should i ditch the hood and add salt water components or Could the hood filtration system and biowheel be used? I'm looking to start with fish and live rock and then add Reef. I learned my lesson when I was a beginner with the cichlids about doing things the right way the first time and I want to make sure I do that. if I ditch the hood what items and equipment do I need to start my fish live rock tank? Thank you!

2. Welcome!

I saw nobody has replied to your post yet and I'm by no means the smartest saltwater person on here LOL but I thought I'd help and chime in my 2 sense /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

I don't know if I would use the same filtration system...only because freshwater can use different chemicals in their water than in saltwater, and I wouldn't want any of that stuff getting into the saltwater tank which could harm things in there. I have freshwater too so I feel your pain on not being able to use for both though! I suppose you COULD always wash the actual filter container out really really well, and then maybe get new bio wheels and try that. We had a canister system on our first tank and that did alright for a while to at least get it started. The only thing with that is make sure you don't overload it with carbon - we learned this the hard way and actually chemical killed a few of our first fish /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/sad.gif

So for equipment right now, is all you have the tank itself?

3. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I have a 10 gallon eclipse setup I use for QT tank. Works ok. I would myself probably be more inclined to use it as a quarantine tank and probably be more likely to Either buy a used biocube as a all in one to start or fish around on this site to buy a used reef ready setup.

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Welcome to the site and the adventures of saltwater.

I'm not familiar with that setup. I would say the filter could be utilized for a saltwater tank, but it would not be ideal. Good quality live rock and live sand with a good strong bacterial population, and frequent water changes can get you pretty far in a saltwater tank. You just have to be strict about maintenance. That being said sometimes its just easier to start fresh with the right equipment instead of making something else work. Keep an eye on the buy/sell and watch for some equipment or even tanks come up for sale.

First couple things that should be decided before you start collecting equipment is
    Size of the tank. Obviously all the equipment will be sized for the tank water volume.
    Ultimate goals of the tank. If you want fish only vs. a full blown SPS reef tank the equipment needed is vastly different. Buy equipment with your end goal in mind.
    Sump or no sump. Again different equipment can be utilized if you decide to run a sump. If you don't end up with an AIO such as a biocube I highly suggest drilling the tank and running a sump.