1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New to Salt

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mordan, Oct 28, 2013.

1. mordan

mordan Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hello all.

My name is Dan, I live in Ft. Dodge and just joined the site. It is good to find such a helpful local sit to use.

I was led her from other members of the Iowa Aquatic Hobbyist site wich I have been a member of for some time.

I have been in the fish hobby again for several years now, I have been mainly been hooked on planted tanks. I currently have a 125g planted Discus tank, a 55g planted tank (with 2 Discus I pulled from the 125g) A 34g planted cherry shrimp tank. And a 50g planted cube tank.

Well, the cube WAS planted. About a month an a half ago I "inherited" a severely neglected 55g salt set up. Covered in Cyanobacteria. Amazingly there a Damsel and a Clown were still living.

So I ended up salvaging the live rock the fish and the tank from the set up (and a sweet stand and hood) I decided to make the 50g cube my first salt tank.

The cube's current set up:

60 pounds live rock, 40 pounds of new live sand, T5 4 lamp Oddysea light, Marineland Magnum 330 bio-filter. CPR HOB skimmer, 2 powerheads for cirulation in the tank.

After a month, I added a cleaner shrimp, snals and some red legged hermit crabs.

I am sure I am missing some info on the tank for now but there is a good idea of what I have going.

I am hoping to meet some people on this side of the state as it seems most are out east.

Anyway, thanks for having such a great site and I look forwad to learning and learning...seems I have been bit by that salt bug preety good!

-Dan

2. Shayna

Shayna Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! You should start a thread on your tank as you make updates to it. This is a great place for questions, ideas, and to pick up things to stock your tank.

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Welcome to the site, this is a great local resource for help, advice, livestock and equipment.

4. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club!

If there are any questions, let us know and we will do our best to help!

5. Rocketmann

Rocketmann

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Dan, you've probably seen the banner, but you should check out Fall Fest in a couple weeks. Great place to meet lots of us, buy corals, etc.

6. mordan

mordan Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will for sure be at the Fall Fest!

7. HarleyHawk

HarleyHawk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Welcome Dan I haven't even finished reading your post when I saw that you had Discus. I and KP have raised them also. (love them)

Switching to salt is alittle more work but well worth it (just take it slow) you will get plenty of help here

8. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    Fort Dodge!!!!
    thought I was the only reefer over here.
    Welcome to the site.

9. saltclg

saltclg Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im in humboldt...need anything..... hit me up

10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Welcome Dan :0) Looking forward to meeting you! I'll be selling so stop by and introduce yourself :0)

Terri

11. mordan

mordan Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HarleyHawk, love the Discus, I am sure I will keep with them for a while. saltclg and F.D.Reefer, good to see others up here. What are your setups?
    Here is a fast walk through of my "display tanks" in our main living area. You can skip the begining if you like, they are the freshwater tanks. Sorry for the shaky low quality vid but I know I like looking at what others have going so here is mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmj3mW3LCas&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

12. HarleyHawk

HarleyHawk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

That is one sweet Discus Tank makes me want to start it up again

13. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0
    That is a beautiful discus tank. Makes me want one again also

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  14. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
  15. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    72 gallon bow front
    4 kessil a150s ocean blue LEDs
    2 bulb t5 (to fill in shadows from LEDs)
    Bio wheel sump
    Reef octopus skimmer
    MP-40
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk