1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New to the site:)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Nano10, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Nano10

Nano10 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello my name is joseph norris I am seventeen. I am not new to the hobby but I have a billion questions! I have had a saltwater tank before but I went out of town for 2 days and came back and the water was green so I decided to take the tank down. Then I moved anf am back into the hobby again. I dropped out of school and I am in the process of getting my ged and getting a job. I'd love to work at a pet store lol. And my biggest goal is to become a marine biologist. This introfuction is kinda scattered around lol. Anyways I have never kept coral before and would like to but I'm kinda just lost at this point. I have a 15 gallon aquarium and no lights the water is in the tank and I have live rock also I'm just low on funds right now and trying to find the cheapest way to do this right. Anywayd thank you for reading and I can't wait to read the replies/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

2. Nano10

Nano10 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone? Lol

3. Nano10

Nano10 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My 15 gallon
    [​IMG]

4. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey welcome to GIRS. Nice to see another person in the QC area. Be sure to track area events in the regional section.

5. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Welcome.

15 gallons for a beginner (no offense) is going to be pretty difficult. It seems like ever drop of water that evaporates out of a small tank throws the water parameters for a loop. You can get auto-top off systems, but they can be spendy (I am using a "kit" that wasn't too bad in price, maybe $70 with pump), you will need really good water, so think RO/DI unit for another $170ish dollars. Filtration *can* be live sand, live rock, or something outside the tank (hang on back is still outside the tank) but there are different positives and negatives to each of them (and different costs).

Lighting can be pricey even in a 15 gallon, but obviously this is one area where it is cheaper for a smaller tank. The corals will need a good light source and decent, random water movement (controllable powerheads?)... the list goes on and on. Start planning before buying so that you don't waste any money. You said that you don't have a job, so this may be a long road before being able to actually put water into the tank, but if you do it right up front, you will be much happier in the long run.

6. Nano10

Nano10 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks nickbuol/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif I am currently looking for a job if anyone owns a pet store and is looking for an employee I am a hard work self-motivated individual. I am 17 and have had freshwater aquariums since I was 6 I am just starting in saltwater but with a little bit of training I could be a great employee. Pm me if you have a position available. Lol