1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

October GIRS meeting

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by billbigsbe, Sep 29, 2008.

1. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sure wish you guys weren't 4+ hours away from me, I'd love to see your tanks!

2. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    have grill will cook but im not leaving after my place so lets make it the last. my wife will have me grounded + cleanup. potluck? need your imput. thanks Dave 515-208-2851

3. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    p.s. some frags @ my house!

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Jeannette, I agree but lets wait until we have everyone signed up and the details known. Then we only have to change once. We can always have my tank start earlier in the morning and those who don't want to make the trip can meet us in Des Moines. By the way, is you tank a candidate for the tour?
    Cagri, I changed the time to 6:30 on Tuesday the 21st. I was initially thinking 7, so we can always go to 7 as well depending on what people think.
    I talked to JJ and he is very happy to have us stop by. He does have to check his work schedule first. Please let me know anyone else that would like to be a tank on the tour.
    Anyone have a mini van to caravan to my place?
    Please let me know whomever else is interested in the water chem discussion on the 21st so I can out you down for it. I have a projector and screen available and will try to put something together to start us off.

Tank Tour Attendees
    - Date: Sunday October 26th Time: 10am?
    Cagri
    billbigsbe1 (Dave)
    neilsen2773 (Ryan)

Reefgoon09 (not sure)
    Beckerj3 (Jeanette)
    Nykademus (Jeremy)

Cowdust9 (John)
    jtesdall (Joel)
    Tanks on the Tour
    Mine north of
    Boone (It will be two - three hours of the trip to come to mine with 2
    hours drive time, so we can drop me if neccesary)
    Ryan Nielsen in Ankeny
    Nykademus (Jeremy) in Carlise
    Cagri in Urbandale
    Double-J?? (JJ) in Urbandale
    billbigsbe1 (Dave) in ?? with a cookout afterward??
    Water Chemistry Discussion - Date: Tuesday October 21st?? Time: 6:30 PM?? Place: 8665 Harbach in Clive
    Cagri
    Nykademus (Jeremy)
    jtesdall (Joel)
    beckerj3 (Jeanette)

5. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was counting on it and you are last! Potluck sounds good.We can have a cooler with Ice Ready with whomever is going to car pool.

6. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I doubt I will be able to make it on the 26th as we are in Cedar Rapids for a weekend football tournament that day unless Saturday goes really bad.  If it does go bad, my son and I will definately be in for tank tour on Sunday.  Either way, it's all good.  My schedule looks good for the 21st so put me down for water chemistry[​IMG]
    I'm in Altoona and would love to throw my tank in for any future tour now that it's presentable.  It's pretty bare, but progressing consistantly, slow but consistant.  Link for lates picture.

7. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Great! It looks like both events are coming together. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/clap.gif
    Tank Tour Attendees
    Cagri
    billbigsbe1 (Dave)
    neilsen2773 (Ryan)

Reefgoon09 (not sure)
    Beckerj3 (Jeanette)
    Nykademus (Jeremy)

Cowdust9 (John)
    jtesdall (Joel)
    Tanks on the Tour
    Mine north of
    Ryan Nielsen in Ankeny
    Cagri in Urbandale
    Double-J?? (JJ) in Urbandale
    Water Chemistry Discussion - Date: Tuesday October 21st?? Time: 6:30 PM?? Place: 8665 Harbach in Clive
    mnballard (Matt)
    Cagri
    Nykademus (Jeremy)
    jtesdall (Joel)
    beckerj3 (Jeanette)

8. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can count me in although it's still just my 47 cube. My 120 is still sitting in the garage...

9. cagri

cagri Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Joel,

It looks like Tuesday is a no go for me for water chemistry, but if something changes I will try to make it. 
    Just as an FYI:  Monday or Thursday works better for me  if others have conflicts on that day as well.
    Thanks
    Cagri

10. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    Joel - yes - my tank can be a candidate for the tour.  But I'd also happily wait until another day.   So unless you are looking for a mix of  newbies and  well seasoned tanks - or have a need for a  tank on the west side of town mark it for the next tour.  I live in West Des Moines - about a mile east of I35 south (off the Grand ave exit), and a couple blocks north of Grand.
    My tank is a 75g with sump.  Started as FWLRO, and I gradually started adding some mushrooms and soft corals during the last 1-2 years.  Tank has been set up almost 5 years.

11. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    Oh and one other question - do we have any gals in the club???  Seems like all the posts are from guys!!

12. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes there are, but mostly guys. A lady named Rachel used to attend many Des Moines functions but I think she is in Davenport now. Robin and Fawn are very active and Robin posted she would like to come to our events but she is four hours away. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif So unless somone else pipes in you may be it for the DSM area for now. There will be several ladies at the swap in Davenport next month. Plus many wives attend, my wife likes to make a bunch of functions.
    I will put you down for a candidate for the tour and we will see where it goes. I will probabally reccomend the tour tanks based on logistics and to really get people interest high with some of the top tanks in the area.
    JJ's tank is now officially on the tour although he will not be able to tour other tanks with us.
    Ryan #3, are you in for the Water Chem discussion?
    Tank Tour Attendees - Date: Sunday October 26th Time: 10am?
    zltful (Ryan #3)
    Cagri
    billbigsbe1 (Dave)
    neilsen2773 (Ryan #2)
    Reefgoon09 (not sure)
    Beckerj3 (Jeanette)
    Nykademus (Jeremy)

Cowdust9 (John)
    jtesdall (Joel)
    Possible Tanks on the Tour
    Mine north of
    nielsen2773 (Ryan) in Ankeny
    zltful (Ryan #3) in Altoona
    Cagri in Urbandale
    Double-J (JJ) in Urbandale
    beckerj3 (Jeanette)
    mnballard (Matt)
    Nykademus (Jeremy)
    jtesdall (Joel)
    beckerj3 (Jeanette)

13. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    I agree with doing what it takes to get the interest level up.  My tank is definitely not it that category yet, which is why I didn't initially suggest it for the tour.  So, there is no problem AT ALL, with not being on the tour!

14. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Joel, it all depends on the vendor we have coming to train a bunch of our folks. She hasn't sent me her itinerary yet but she is supposed to be here the 20th and 21st. We shall see...

15. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Even with my loss of tank stuff this weekend I would like to attened the water chemistry discussion and tour some local tanks (DSM area). Not tottaly sure how you guys go about this. 
    Guess I am going to have to see whats out there locally to purchase AGAIN for my tank /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

16. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    gb whats your real name so I can put it on the list. you are signed up, so just keep reading this thread and we will give more details. I am sorry to hear about the catastrophe. There are many members that will give you some great deals on replacements. I think Jason Glaspie was offering to hook you up. I sure if you get involved like this you won't have any problem getting re-stocked.

Folks, this is getting be an awefully big group! That is awesome!!
    Tank Tour Attendees
    gb387 (Brandon)
    zltful (Ryan #3)
    Cagri
    billbigsbe1 (Dave)
    neilsen2773 (Ryan #2)
    Reefgoon09 (not sure)
    Beckerj3 (Jeanette)
    Nykademus (Jeremy)

Cowdust9 (John)
    jtesdall (Joel)
    Possible Tanks on the Tour
    Mine north of
    nielsen2773 (Ryan) in Ankeny
    zltful (Ryan #3) in Altoona
    Cagri in Urbandale
    Double-J (JJ) in Urbandale
    beckerj3 (Jeanette)
    NNAligncenter">billbigsbe1 (Dave) in ?? with a cookout afterward??
    gb387 (Brandon)
    mnballard (Matt)
    Nykademus (Jeremy)
    jtesdall (Joel)
    beckerj3 (Jeanette)

17. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Joel, My name is Brandon - aka gb387

18. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This looks like its going to be a great turnout!

19. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey Joel i can make it to the water thing i have to work on the 21st but im doown for the thing on sunday!

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, thanks for taking hold of this. I don't have time to do my laundry, let alone manage this stuff.
    I am currently working 7 days a week either in Johnston or back home with harvest.  If I'm working I'm out.  If I'm not working and I've closed on my house by then, I'll be roofing and am out.  If I'm not working and I haven't closed, I'm in.  If I'm not working and have closed, and finished the roof early enough that weekend, I'm either in or sleeping through sunday.  If I don't work and haven't closed, I'm in.  No matter what I won't be able to be there the entire time.  If I'm harvesting I'm out.
    Put me on the "attending" list with this smiley following: [​IMG]