1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

October GIRS meeting

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by billbigsbe, Sep 29, 2008.

1. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey nykademus when are you going up to joels cause if its cool i would like to ride with you?

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The schedule is to meet at the Menards Parking lot in Ankeny. This should make it easy for anyone that wants to go. It is also a good place to leave cars. And we will be coming back to Ankeny anyway to see Ryan #2's tank.

3. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'll meet you guys at Menards at 10 so I can make it out to Boone with you.

4. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    I like the idea of bringing water samples and doing some tests to compare results.  Besides salinity and PH, a couple chemistry related items I'm interested in are magnesium and silicates.  I don't test for either.  I never gave any thought to magnesium until I saw it in I think Randy's two part formula plus magnesium - then again on the Bulk Reef Supply site.  I'm curious what my water would test at, the variability to expect, and then whether I should invest in a kit.
    As for silicates, I wonder if that might have been the cause of my recent outbreak of yelllow/brown something on my sand.  I added a fresh chemi-pure pad, and it went away in about 6 days.  Also, I just added a DI to RO unit.  Our water in WDM is bad.  My input water is always between 550-580 TDS, and the output was around 14.  Now, after the DI unit the TDS is zero.

5. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +615 / 2 / -0
    For the water chemistry discussion next week - what am I looking for at 8665 Harbach - an apartment complex, business office ?????

6. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its a business office located next to Barr bike shop and the music store that's right there. Or, an easier way to place it might be to say that its across the parking lot from Mickey's pub.
    As for the carpool, it sounds like my car is full with Tibbs and Cowdust. The plan, like Joel said, is to meet at Menards at 10am. I look forward to meeting you guys, see you at Menards.

7. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Jeanette, I think we will maybe do some salinity testing and I can donate some Mg tests. But if we get into testing everyone's water we won't have time to do anything else. We can do that if that is what people want however. For pH I would want to use a probe but I can't disconnect my controller to bring.

I think your topics of Mg an Si are great topics for the discussion. Personally I go by what Randy recommends. Mg is very important because it has a huge bearing on Ca and Alk. Silicates however he does not recommend to test for but I would agree that is the cause of your problem. Diatoms are usually caused by high silicates.

The meaatin at 8665 Harbach is the office building that Jeremy and I work in. Is right behind Barr Bike on 86th and Harbach. Strangely enough though, the building looks like an apartment complex but isn't. It has big white letters on the front that say "DFM" and "MAPCON", the names of the business that are here.

8. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I figured we could do a few quick salinity tests for anyone who wanted to do one. If someone wanted their water checked for a certain thing, I could take your sample home and test it. I don't have magnesium or silicate test kits. Just the nitrate tests pH calcium etc.
    Chris

9. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will be at the water chemistry discussion as I have lots I need to learn - that said will there be a way someone could test the magnesium level in my water?

As for the 'tour' is there a way to meet up in the Des Moines area to attend the tour, not sure I will be able to make it to the Boone portion.

10. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Having a potluck @ my house, need a menu shout-out. Im providing Steak & Ahi Tuna on the grill. Expecting about a dozen????

11. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I can bring an Mg test kit. I would say we should meet back in Ankeny for the continuation of the tour in Des Moines. We will head over to Ryans from there. You can use m as the contact. Ny cell phone # is 491-4666.
    I have created a slide presentation and agenda to get us going on Tuesday. Here are the topics: (Again just an outline so we don't sit and stare at each other)
    Nitrogen Cycle
    Critical Parameters
    "other" parameters
    maintaining Ca and Alk
    Algae problems and what to do
    pH problems
    Other
    What is most important?
    Salinity testing and calibration?
    Mg testing
    Hopefully this will help provide for a good discusssion
    [​IMG]Discussion and Tank Tour Details [​IMG]
    Water Chemistry Discussion - Date: Tuesday October 21st Time: 6:30 PM Place: 8665 Harbach in Clive
    tibbs2 (Chris)
    gb387 (Brandon)
    mnballard (Matt)
    Nykademus (Jeremy)
    jtesdall (Joel)
    beckerj3 (Jeanette)
    Agenda
    Nitrogen Cycle
    Critical Parameters
    "other" parameters
    maintaining Ca and Alk
    Algae problems and what to do
    pH problems
    Other What is most important?
    Salinity testing and calibration?
    Mg Testing
    Short drawaing
    Tank Tour - Date: Sunday October 26th Time: 10am
    Attendees
    =dnn_ctr446_ContentPane>tibbs2 (Chris)
    ryansholl (Ryan #1) [​IMG]
    gb387 (Brandon)
    zltful (Ryan #3)
    Cagri
    billbigsbe1 (Dave)
    neilsen2773 (Ryan #2)
    Beckerj3 (Jeanette)
    Nykademus (Jeremy)
    Cowdust9 (John)
    jtesdall (Joel)
    Tanks on the Tour and Schedule
    10 AM - meet at Menards Parking lot in Ankeny to Carpool at 10am to Boone
    11 AM - Jtesdall (Joel) north of Boone , leave at 11:30-11:45
    1:00 - nielsen2773 (Ryan) in Ankeny
    2:00 - Cagri in Urbandale
    3:00 - Double-J (JJ) in Urbandale
    ntPane>4:00 - billbigsbe1 (Dave) in Altoona/Pleasant Hill with a cookout afterward.

12. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    great, my place after JJs! It will be like TinyTim encors for Jimmy Hendrix!!! haha
    Ill get in contact w/Janna in Altoona, she has about 6-7 impressive tanks/setup....

13. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That's why I am first. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

14. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Chris, Brandon, Matt, Jeremy and Jeanette,
    This is just a reminder for tomorrow night. Please let me know if you are coming. Let me know if you need further directions, there are some below.
    Anyone want to attend?

15. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 10/20/2008 04:49 PM
    Chris, Brandon, Matt, Jeremy and Jeanette,
    This is just a reminder for tomorrow night. Please let me know if you are coming. Let me know if you need further directions, there are some below.
    Anyone want to attend?
    I plan on being there - the address in Clive correct, business or resident?? 

16. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, 8665 Harbach in Clive. Right behind Barr Bicycle. It is a business and there are the letters DFM with MAPCON below on the side of the building.

17. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I plan on being there as well.

18. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK, I have a Pink Birdsnest frag and various additives to give away tonight.

19. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    If anyone wants free green ricordea mushrooms tonight, let me know and I'll bring some.

20. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you wanted to go through the trouble of bringing one, I would like one Tibbs. Thanks for offering!