1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Par Meter???

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Kpotter2, Mar 25, 2012.

1. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    looks like you got pretty good coverage everywhere in the tank.
    What size tank is that?

2. gravattj

gravattj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    the number is the par reading from the device at a given position in the tank.  i really don't know much about par other than i am roughly in the range i want to be.

3. gravattj

gravattj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

4. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There have been some questions on how long the PAR meter can be used for and how it will be tracked, I am trying to answer your requests in the order they were recieved here in this thread, several members have already borrowed the meter already and have used it. Fawn you are the next on the request list.
    There is no "time" limit on the borrowing of the PAR meter, but rather I will ask us all to be courteous and get it back to me as soon as possible once you are done with it.
    Kyle was gracious enough to make a really neat carrying case for the PAR meter, and I would also ask that you take care of and store the equipment properly before returning it.
    Since Bob is frequently out of state for work, the PAR meter is residing with me, unfortunately I also have a very busy schedule, I frequently work double shifts at the hospital (I am sometimes difficult to get a hold of because I cannot use my phone at work and I sometimes come home at 8am after working 16 hours and crash until noon or later), and I work an irregular weekend schedule, so please be patient. (I also have a wife that keeps me busy with house work!)
    Now, on the regular I would like to see the PAR meter travel back to me before being dispatched to the next user so that I can inspect it and feel more secure about its locale. However, this is not going to be possible during its maiden voyage to the CR area. During its first voyage I'm certain that it will change hands more frequently than I want to drive to CR to forward it to the next user. So I will ask that each user contacts me before they forward it to the next user, I need to verify that those borrowing it are registered and paying GIRS members, and I need to keep track of where it is.
    Again, I ask that you guys are patient, we've only had this for a little over 2 weeks now and it has already been used by 3 members and is on its way back to me tomorrow. I would say that's pretty good! I would expect a 4day/person wait on it. As time goes on requests to borrow it will become less frequent.
    Mike, a luminous flux meter will measure total light output, not PAR (photosynthetically active radiation). PAR is a measurment of how much usable light energy the bulb is emitting. If the wavelegnth broadcast by a LED or bulb is not at the frequency of the electron receptors present in chloroplasts then it is not biologically useful. There are four types of chloroplast receptors (chlorophyll A, chlorophyll B, carotines, and xanthrophills). The total luminous output in terms of visible light is useful for measuring how bright a light source is in terms of human reception, but not in terms of biological reception. It can be useful to measure the amount of luminous flux and subtract the amount of PAR and the remainder is the amount of wasted light energy.
    Alright guys, I'll keep you more informed as we get down the line here. I've got a day off tomorrow and I'll have more info about this months meet.
    Cya,
    Andy

5. Reeferforlyfe

Reeferforlyfe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good Andy, put me on this list. I broke my hand and well my funds are going to medical bills, FML.... Not a par meter.

6. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Here are my findings on my two tanks.. I got a lot of readings everywhere, but most with in 20 to 30 Par from each other front to back.
    The full shot of tank is with 20k on left and 14k MH on right. Its to give you an idea of light difference. I now have both 14k in tank and going at half time.
    http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/Community/DiscussionForums/tabid/78/aft/26875/Default.aspx
    Thanks Kyle
    I am glad to have helped keep the Par meter secure with its new box and foam insert. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  7. Reeferforlyfe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Woot

8. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So how do you know what PAR level is ideal for what? Is there a chart of some sort or recommendations for different types of coral somewhere?

9. Reeferforlyfe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm curious to know this as well!

10. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I think most SPS and LPS require PAR readings at 100par and above, but I don't think there is a real chart out there for us. I was doing well with some LPS on my sand bed with readings at 60par. I don't think I was getting great growth. I could be way wrong, but I think by a quick search no one as a good chart out there where they have to be. All Corals are different and growth is different in each tank. I think a rule of thumb is 100par at sand bed unless you have a Clam and I think it needs to be higher.

11. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Picked the PAR meter up from Andy yesterday, here's what I got on my 24g nano which uses a Kessil 150W LED fixture.  The tank is ~20" top to bottom.  Very interesting!  
    [​IMG]

12. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Looks good to me..

13. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Can I borrow the Par meter? Who has it?

14. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I gave it back to Andy right before the tank tour, so maybe Andy?  I think there was someone who wanted it after me though, not sure if they got it yet.

15. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I believe Troy took it after the tank tour. I am not sure if he is hanging on to it, or it got passed on. PM Bob or Andy I am sure one of them knows where it is.

16. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know where the PAR meter is?

From all that I have gathered, we don't.....

17. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Like blackx-runner said, just pm Andy or Bob and they will let you know where it is.......I'm sure one of them will get back to you about it.

18. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    andy wasn't sure that is why I am putting out the call for it....

who has it? Anyone...anyone....Bueller........

19. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks as if gravattj had it last in your area and was supposed to return it to andy well over a month ago.

20. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    we took it up to cedar rapids for the tank tour and left it in troys custody. troy was supposed to contact bob if he sent it along with anybody else or to bring it back to bob after a couple of weeks. I have an email out to bob to see if he knows of the par meters where abouts but I haven't heard back from him thus far.