1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Photo Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by einsteins, Feb 27, 2008.

1. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gm333

Thanks for asking....
    when you are looking at Macro lenses for your tank shots the most important factor is going to be the distance to the subject.
    you need to choose a macro that fits that distance. If you want to shoot 1/1 (actual size shots) from the fromt glass to back part of the tank, you will need a good sized macro like a 100 or 105mm
    I use the Nikorr 60mm macro for my shots. I chose this lens because it has one of the best lenses Nikon has ever made. I can also shoot from the back of my tank so I can almost always get to a subject one way or another.

eins

2. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    MACRO SHOOTING TIPS
    Hi all, I thought I would post a few tips for shooting close ups (macro) shots.
    Hope these are helpful.
    Remember....when shooting macros through glass
    1) ALWAYS shoot straight through the glass....NEVER at an angle as it will effect the clarity of the pic BIG TIME!
    2) Make sure the glass is clean.
    3) Try to get the lens right up against the glass....I actually press the camera against the glass and use the glass to steady the camera for the shot.
    4) Dont be afraid of MANUAL focus...I prefer it for my macro shots as I can precisely determine what is going to be in focus.
    5) Work the DOF (depth of field) try numerous DOF settings use a variety to ensure you get the type of shot you want.
    6) Work the exposures...take a couple of shots at different exposures to ensure a good shot...a little on the dark side is always better than a shot that is to bright.
    7) Digital SLR users...try shooting in Apeture Priority mode (A on the mamera settings) this mode allows you to select the aperture size (depth of field) and the camera then selects a shutter speed to match it.
    8) Use spot or center weighted metering....this allows you to better target the light levels directly on your target....(this one has helped me a lot with getting good exposure on my shots)
    9) Turn off the flow in the tank...macros can require longer exposure times and polyp movement will be your enemy for clear shots.
    These are some of the basic rules I try to follow when I take my shots....
    Feel free to add your own if you have some.
    Questions are always welcome!!
    eins

3. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    You can purposefully set your ISO very high if you want a grainy look to a picture. It can be a cool trick in some circumstances.

4. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I saw your pictures you took with your 60mm lens. I have bought the exact same lens. This lens was actually built for film cameras and when mounted on a digital camera, the lens is equal to a 90mm lens. Good for us!
    Posted By einsteins on 03/08/2008 12:10 PM
    Gm333

Thanks for asking....
    when you are looking at Macro lenses for your tank shots the most important factor is going to be the distance to the subject.
    you need to choose a macro that fits that distance. If you want to shoot 1/1 (actual size shots) from the fromt glass to back part of the tank, you will need a good sized macro like a 100 or 105mm
    I use the Nikorr 60mm macro for my shots. I chose this lens because it has one of the best lenses Nikon has ever made. I can also shoot from the back of my tank so I can almost always get to a subject one way or another.

eins

5. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Excellent....

I am looking forward to seeing your pictures....!

eins