1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Photobucket changes TOS - breaks images

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Eric, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I see that my pics I have on this forum linked from Photobucket aren't broken (yet). Any ideas as to why?

On other forums all Photobucket images are indicating the account owner needs to pay $400 to re-enable the links.

-Eric

Photobucket Breaks Image Links Across the Internet

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    @Bud@Bud
    No idea, but it sounds like a good time to ditch photobucket.

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Wow, that's total Bolshevik man.

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I halfway wonder though if this is clickbait. Seems like Photobucket might have a business model in mind where forum owners can have their photos hosted on Photobucket via a module or something, so this might be more of a thing that someone buys to utilize on their forums?

I can't see it being a logical move to frustrate every one of your customers and then ransom the content to the forum owners.

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  6. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    They already have - but not on GIRS as my 120 breakdown thread still has pics. However, my posts on other forums are showing the speedo.

-Eric

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Time to jump ship. Sucks too because I have a ton of algae scrubber pics up on there, posted on forums I sponsor, product threads etc, algae scrubber basics...

What good is their site if you can't show other people your pics and videos? Fail

I submitted a support question, we'll see what they say. I have an "ad free" account but that just prevents the page from blasting me with ads and crashing my browser whenever I go there. Last time I went there without being logged in, I had trouble logging in because of all the crap popping up and playing, redirecting, etc

I'm pretty sure google photos will always be free.

8. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Does Google allow linking? That would be great as I have 57,000 pics/videos in my Google account (using zero space ) and I didn't think they allowed it, at least not as easily as FB used to.

-Eric

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Lucky for us, none of this will affect our site, or pretty much any other Xenforo site with knowledgeable admins. Someone has an addon that works around this link block they have instituted and downloads the images locally as permanent attachments. So there, photoschmucket

11. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    That's great news!

-Eric