1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

PUPPY MILLS NOW LETS DEBATE

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xmasia, Apr 30, 2009.

1. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This topic is now over, it's not only a huge waste of time, it's frankly going no where. Things are not always as the media portrays it. I'm by far not in support of any animal being caged it's entire life. But ironically we ALL do it, every fish and coral we own came from the OCEAN. Throwing insults and trying to hurt peoples business doesn't help anyone. Thanks Jason

2. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do u mean by yahoo"s"? Ur post is no different than the point I was making in more less different words. Am I wrong? Or were you including urself as a yahoo? LOL.

3. xmasia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    jtown you werent wrong in a round about way anyone talking about anything not topic related = yahoo lol. crap now im a yahoo cause this topic is a puppy mill debate.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ya·hoo (yäh, y-) n. pl. ya·hoos A crude or brutish person. See Synonyms at boor.
    Woo hoo!!! Am I a yahoo?[​IMG]

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    You mean there is something to debate?

I dont think anyone here advocated breeding dogs in small crates in dirty conditions.

6. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We are all a bunch of yahoos!!! Bottom line is I think we all agree with how disgusting and cruel the puppy mill business is. We can also agree to disagree that possibly not every single petland participates in that and even if the one is DSM did the Aquatics department shouldn't suffer or be bashed. That's all I have to say to you yahoos!!! Haha!!!

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Jtown on 04/30/2009 02:46 PM
    We are all a bunch of yahoos!!! Bottom line is I think we all agree with how disgusting and cruel the puppy mill business is. We can also agree to disagree that possibly not every single petland participates in that and even if the one is DSM did the Aquatics department shouldn't suffer or be bashed. That's all I have to say to you yahoos!!! Haha!!!
    Even if? Is there a question?  Was the media lying about them?
    I personally could never imagine recommending any part of a store that engaged in such behavior to anyone, but that is just me... I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

8. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So xmasia, you're telling me that if Hitler sold the best tomatoes in town, you'd be a loyal customer? I don't care how nice the guys in the aquatics dept. are, a percentage of the money goes to a national corporation with well known ties to the puppy mill industry. I will not shop there as long as they sell puppies. There are plenty of animals in shelters, and if you REALLY need a pure breed, go direct to the breeder and check out their operation before buying. That's how you get rid of puppy mills, you don't buy from pet shops and you don't buy direct from them. Your comment in the other thread was extremely ignorant.

9. xmasia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

well sure theres something to debate what do you think a puppy mill is.....some big farm or building were dogs are bred and then the puppys sold id say true. what about jane or joe blow that has 1 pair that they bred litter after litter is that a puppy mill...hmmmm id say yes. pet stores buy there dogs from someone these somones bred there dogs for money. no matter how you look at it there puppy mills wether big or small. clean or not clean humane or not humane thats what decides a good or bad mill

10. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To be completely honest I was 100% unaware of the whole thing untill about 2 weeks ago when my GF and I went into Pet Land and she was looking at the pups while I was in the back talking to Ron. She told me all about it when we left and I looked it up online and saw the videos and articles about it. The reality of it all is just the world we live in tho. There are people that get tortured and treated way worse in Iraq and Afganistan also and I dont support that in any means but I still support all the troops over there protecting our country. Just because Terrell Owens played for the Cowboys and he is a HUGE douche bag doesnt mean Cowboy fans will stop supporting thier team. You are right we will agree to disagree. Its the twisted f%*kd up world we live in and its not going to change anytime soon.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There is a HUGE difference between having a pair of dogs (or even several females) that you breed for money and running a puppy mill. Comparing the two is just crazy.

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now you're just being a troll xmasia. There's a well recognized definition of what a puppy mill is. A couple breeding their dogs at normal intervals in a healthy and humane environment would not be considered a puppy mill by anyone.

13. xmasia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    H2O if it were hitler i dont think i would have a choice so yes. what about fish mills or should that be a different topic

14. xmasia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    your wrong h20

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By xmasia on 04/30/2009 06:43 PM
    your wrong h20
    I suggest you do some research on what a puppy mill is and get back to h2o...

16. xmasia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    PUPPY MILL

Specialty Definition: Puppy mill
    (From Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia)

Puppy mill is a disparaging term for the practices of some dog breeders.
    Some dogs are bred by reputable breeders, who raise a small number of dogs and provide humane conditions, good socialization and formal training to their charges. Often potential owners go through a screening process and spend time with many of the dogs before being matched to a dog.
    Unfortunately, some breeders are motivated by money rather than love and respect for the animals that they raise. These breeders are commonly referred to as "puppy mills", alluding to the conditions and emphasis on quantity and profitability over humane treatment and quality.
    Puppy mill dogs are raised in overcrowded, inhumane conditions, are poorly socialized, receive no training whatsoever and often suffer from medical conditions that are not disclosed to potential buyers. It is not uncommon for these breeders to misrepresent the breed of dog being sold, and the vast majority of these animals are sold to pet stores.
    Purchasing dogs from a pet store is therefore strongly discouraged by reputable breeders and animal shelter employees alike; it is assumed that many animal shelter dogs are pet store dogs who were purchased on impulse and abandoned when the owner loses interest. While many pet stores claim to purchase dogs from "local breeders" instead of puppy mills, this is often untrue or is a difference in name only, as reputable breeders do not sell animals to pet stores.
    The concepts of the reputable breeder and the puppy mill both apply only to purebred dogs; mixed-breeds, or mutts, are generally given away by the people who own the parent animal.
    In the United Kingdom, "puppy farming" is the term used to describe these intensive breeding methods.

17. xmasia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so that artical didnt say local breeders werent puppy mills?

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have you actually read that definition? Please highlight the part where "small breeders = puppy mills".

19. xmasia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    While many pet stores claim to purchase dogs from "local breeders" instead of puppy mills, this is often untrue or is a difference in name only.... will this work.

20. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You obviously can't comprehend the context of that statement. Did you miss this at the end? "reputable breeders do not sell animals to pet stores"
    I'll also draw your attention to PetlandDSM's statement in his thread that they only buy puppies from local breeders.  Thanks xmasia for clearing this all up.