1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Pygmey is back!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Pygmey, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0

Hey guys it is Eric. It has been awhile since i have been on the group and in reef tanks. I am back. My daughter has been asking for a tank and I am finally starting it back up. I will be starting with a 29 nano reef. Hope to meet up with some of you soon..

I am looking for a Black ORA Percua. Let me know if you know of anyone breeding them or where you can get them

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Were you under another username before?

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I remember you from about 8 years ago. Welcome back! What are you planning to keep in the new tank?

4. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0

Yes it has been about 8 or 9 years ago already.

Well this time I picked up a 29gallon Biocube used cheap from craigslist. Setting this up with live rock / live sand currently. Have to house a couple of clownfish to make sure I apease the daughter which is the excuse I used to set up a tank /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

Then I am looking to upgrade the lighting to LEDS (yes I know alot of contraversy but I want to try it out) and then I will be looking to add frags as I come across them.

I am glad to see this group is still going. I was part of the BOD a long time ago.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

5. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

It has been a while. I could tell from your LED controversy statement lol. Good to see someone back though I haven't been around long enough to know you. I think LEDs are regarded now as equal to or better than traditional lighting options depending on what you get. That idea reminded me of the US Senator during a congressional debate that said railroads would never catch on because if the human body exceeded 50 mph the person would instantly die.

6. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

7. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0

Interesting comment on the LEDs.. I was reading alot about them and it still seemed like there was alot of contreversy. I cannot see a better solution for my 29g nano.. So the kit is on order..

I also saw a 3 part video series that Paletta did on how it affected corals.. Him and Sanjay were recommending not on SPS but then I see alot of people out there with alot of success in SPS.

8. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

I've watched that series too. I think what's key that they said is that what light looks best to our eyes isn't always the best light for the corals. The trick with controllable LEDs is that you have to find the proper setting that lets the coral thrive even if it doesn't make the colors pop as much. You can always crank up the blue if you're showing the tank off to someone and then set it back to the normal healthy settings. I've had great luck with LEDs with all types of coral thus far. I get the same if not better growth and health with the LEDs than I did with my T5s/MH on older tanks. I do think MH can add a level of perfection for some corals, but it is not necessary for thriving coral.

9. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Yeah I bought the Steve's LED Biocube retrofit.. After talking quite a bit with them they recommended for growth and visual the 14k setup.. I did get the controller so I can drop it to 12k if needed but they are recommending 14k as the best for growth and color that they have seen

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I just had an interesting discussion about this the other day. Here is the gist of it.

Take a coral that is grown under MH and put it under LED. It will look fantastic

Take a coral (same type) that is grown under LED and put it under LED. It will look brown.

Put a coral under LED and leave it under LED, it will look and grow fine. But don't put it under MH unless you are OK with it looking brown for a few months before it colors up.

Take a coral with great color, grown under MH and put under LED. Then wait 3-4 months and take same coral and put back under MH and it will look brown.

My friend did this with a set of Radions (gen 2). LEDs are definitely missing the mark, somewhere.

So the rule, to me, is if you grow it under LED, keep it under LED.

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Incidentally this is why you see so many people saying "I switched from MH/T5HO to LED and my corals look amazing!" 6 months later if they put their old lights back over everything, it all looks like junk, but it took months for that to happen so they don't "see" the slow transition of coloration loss.

12. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

That's very interesting. I wonder what the chemistry/biology behind that is.

13. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

I wonder if somehow it has to do with light penetration, Like if you hold a flashlight up to your finger that is powered by an AA battery vs one powered by two C batteries. So when you put a coral thats been under LEDs back under MHs, all the color growth is closer to the surface. The MH penetrates deeper into the coral luminescing the non-colored growth that the LED failed to penetrate and makes the neutral colors dominate visually. On the other hand when moving from MH back to LED the LED has less light penetration and illuminates the colors and doesnt go deep enough to bring out the neutral browns. Just my crazy idea I pulled out of thin air.