1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? refugium

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jayt, Oct 17, 2015.

1. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to be setting up a 72 gal fuge in my upcoming project. What would be my best bet to put in the fuge? Currently running cheato only.

2. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I like to get a variety and see which ones respond best. Cheato always works best for me when I get it to slowly tumble. But I am having excellent growth with dragons breath and another red algae I forget name but grows great

3. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking a couple mangroves also. I'll have a section in my sump for rubble. Should I run bb in the fuge or?

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Deep, or really deep sand bed if you want to do sand in the fuge.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I love refugiums, and if you do it right, they can be just as interesting as your tank. Refugium means a place of refuge, an area where plants and animals can grow and flourish without fear of predation. Plants can grow and export nutrients. Pods, mysids can grow, eat and break down waste, and feed your tank.

I like to start with a bed of sand, and then have a pile of rubble in the middle.

There is a type of caulerpa (not grape) that looks really cool, and grows well.[​IMG]

Then I have a pile of rubble that I can add some mangroves to.

Good inhabitants for your fuge is pods, mysid shrimp, and peppermint shrimp. Peppermint are prolific egg producers and will continuously feed your tank with nutritious shrimp larvae that is excellent food. Plus they will eat any waste that comes through.

I have even seen a pair of egg laying clownfish put in a fuge.

6. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Very informative stuff @xroads@xroads. Thanks for the input. I learned too.

7. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    What about miracle Mudd or similar product?

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I have never used it, so I cant say too much about it. It seems unfitting for a reef tank to have something like to me. I have had great luck sticking to the basics.

Do plenty of research and try to find people that have used it for longer then a year.

9. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    I have done the rubble and light refuge with the cheto, and rubbble

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    One other important aspect of refugiums.

As night falls on the reef tank your ph starts to fall. Photosynthesis raises PH, so as your corals, and the surface rock algae goes to sleep, photosynthesis stops, and ph falls.

Many people run their refugiums at night to help keep their ph stable.

11. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Xroads do you suggest high flow or low flow in a fuge? I have heard both sides say each is better.

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    My personal opinion is definitely not high. I like medium flow, enough to keep things moving. Otherwise you end up with dead spots.

Also, wide shallow fuges are best. Lots of surface area, although that can be a challenge under a stand.

13. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I was planning on running the fuge 24/7 just alternate light schedule so the fuge is lit when the dt isnt

14. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Many people do with success, but I think most life forms need a daily dark period. Example peppermint shrimp will release its larvae shortly after dark. What if you dont give them that dark time? I run mine 18 hours on, 6 hours off when my aquarium lights are at its peak.

*****Disclaimer****

These are my own opinions, dont take them as the 100% truth or right or wrong. Read others opinions and make an educated decision.

15. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    My fuge will be in a separate room. So itll have 12 hrs of dark

16. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I agree I run 4 hour dark period in mine and low to medium flow through fuge to keep everything flowing without dead spots.

17. How about adding some pulsating xenia to refugium? they like nitrates too.. I have done it myself but im considering it. Any suggestions?

Terry

18. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    How big is your fuge xroads

19. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

20. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I just happen to have some xenia I can put in the fuge. How many peppermint shrimp do you have in each? And do you feed them or they eat whatever