1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Reminder - Skimmer Meeting this weekend - 1:00 PM w/ Vortech demo!

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by AJ, Feb 15, 2010.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We'll be having our skimmer meeting this weekend at Parlor City - 1:00 PM.  The agenda is going to be something like this:
    • What are skimmers
    • A little science behind how they work
    • Different types of skimmers
      • Beckett
      • Pinwheel
      • down draft
      • etc.
    • Mods you can do to your skimmer
      • Gate valve
      • mesh wheel
      • recirculating
      • etc.
    • Demo - mesh mod a pinwheel from a Sedra 9000
    There will be a limited supply of Enkamat available for distribution along with small zip ties so you can do your own mesh wheel mod if you would like.  The material that we present will also be available in print form that you can take with you for later reference.
    Also, Vortech has provided me with an MP10 that I'll bring and allow everyone to check out.  It's not skimmer related, but I figured since we would be getting everyone together, why not.  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif
    See you on Saturday!!
    --AJ

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so whats going ot happen with the MP10 when your done with it?? i'll buy it

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think they want me to sell it or anything. It sounds to me like they took some parts from different units that they replaced under warranty and kind of Frankenstein'd one together, then removed the serial number. Either way, I get the impression that it should be fully functional and definitely demo worthy.
    On a separate note, I did ask what the requirements are for a group buy so I should be getting some information on that.

--AJ

4. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    sounds like a awesome time. count me in!

6. Bluefool

Bluefool Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Unless the weather turns to poo, I'll be there.

7. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I should be there.

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Planning on being there. And I may be bearing gifts for new club members...

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Way to go JB!! :)

--AJ

10. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I just found out the wife has a cpr class that day. So with regrets I will not be able to attend.

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tell her all that saving a life stuff isn't nearly as important as this!!    /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/laugh.gif
    --AJ

12. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    lol ill tell her but i might have to hide out at your house for awhile.

13. Jay Well-Known ReefKeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm planning on coming, keep forgetting to post /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

14. Bluefool

Bluefool Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm....where is Parlor City? Google is giving me grief. IF anybody knows the adress, mapquest will save me!

15. Bluefool

Bluefool Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yarg! We need to take our dog into the vet and all they had open was 2pm today. I'll have to catch the next one. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif.

16. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Parlor City is located in downtown Cedar Rapids at 1125 3rd Street SE, 247-0000.

17. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also posted on the front page now. See you there!

--AJ

18. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to everyone that came out today. I know I learned a lot researching the material and I hope you guys learned something from what I presented. All in all, good conversation and a nice mix of newer club members and some of the veteran club members. JB had free frags of birdsnest, slimer, zoas, etc (thanks JB!!) available and all of the new members left with free corals. Thanks for coming to the event today!!

--AJ

19. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a lot to JB for the free frags. I know Jay was super stoked about his new green slimer and other SPS stuff. My ZOAs look to be doing great in the tank and the crabs thank you for the extra algae /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

Was good to meet JB for the first time, and AJ, Nick and Steph again. Thanks for preparing the material for discussion. I have some things to think about with regards to my tank now. I am sure by next year I may have a T5 light set-up on my BC29 and use some sort of skimmer.

Jay, Will, Nick, and I went down to SOM after the meeting to snoop around. I had never been there and it was a cool experience.

I picked up some empty shells from Hung for nothing and 2 of my blue legged hermit crabs have already changed shells...so I need to thank him extra next time I go in there.

-Justin