1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Return pump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wesly2007, Oct 16, 2015.

1. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    im in the process of building a 40 breeder and need some advice. I'm looking at getting a new return pump but not sure what to get. I don't have a budget big enough to buy an expensive pump but want a reliable one. Is it still recommended that you turn the water volume over 10x/ hr? If this is the case I'm thinking about getting the Lifeguard Quiet One Pro 3000, or 4000. Is there a better return for around the same price that you all would recommend?

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Wes

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Those are good pumps, or they used to be 5 years ago when I had one.

Get the 4000, you can always valve it back if you think it is too much. And then you can T it off if you want to run carbon or GFO

3. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I had good luck with the quiet one 4000 on a 60 cube.

4. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I found my old Aqua Medic Ocean Runner 3500. With a few replacement parts I can have it running like new for $35 give or take a few bucks. More money for a better skimmer. ;)

Only question I have now is what kind of check valve should I use on the return line? Can I just use a pvc check valve from the local hardware store. I saw some that can be installed in the loc-line but wondering if there is a better way to do it. I don't want half of my tank to drain out onto the floor of the power goes out or if the pump just stops working.

Thanks in advance
    Wes

5. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Get one from bulk reef supply. The ones at the hardware store has metal in them.

6. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Ha i wish i known they made check valves for pvc i might have to add one. Learn something new everyday.

7. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    You can still install it on your return inside of your overflow . That is where mine is installed. Turn pump off cut pipe take small section away and glue in check valve

8. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Yea thats what im thinking. Thanks!

9. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I don't run a check anymore. They always leak back on me. I just make sure there is plenty of room in my sump if I shut pump off.

10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    + 1....Check valves can fail and/or need maintenance which often times is ignored. Ensure your sump is large enough to handle what will drain into the sump. Keeping the return nozzle close to the surface will help prevent back-syphoning as well as drilling a small hole in it. Once air gets into the return line, the back-syphon should stop. If you drill a small hole, make sure you keep it clean/open.