1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Revisiting old ideas......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myfavoriteplace, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Myfavoriteplace Reef Enthusiast by day, Coral Hunter by night.

Quad Cities
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hello GIRS!!!

New member here, first post. Don't brutalize me!

I fantasize all the time about what I think may be innovative ideas, to find out they may or may not have already been tried. I know many dreamers like myself and I propose a "gathering of the minds" if we could.

BIOLOGICAL FILTRATION: We have reused every form of wet, and dry filtration imagined. We have combined many. Bio pellets, ceramic rings, LR in the sump, DSB, bare bottom tanks! We have done it all.

Tonight I want to ask about FBF or, fluidized bed filters. Basically a calcium reactor used for converting massive amounts of ammonia into nitrite, and less toxic forms. The only problems is, once they become so riddled with bacteria, it can cause a crash. Similar to all of its previous forms.
    The greater problem with this type of biological filtration was phosphates are consumed as well, again, once capacity is reached cause a spike.

Why don't we just connect them directly to a skimmer? As the bacteria die off and purge, the next line of defense will immediately remove said undesired proteins. Combined with aeration (if done properly) will help maintain a steady pH taboot!

I also once heard tale, of quite the opposite. Instead of tumbling the media for maximum surface area, the water was forced through a vast DSB of sugar fine sand. This was enough to pre filter any large particulate, offer plenty of anaerobic bacteria for denitrification, and because the bed was so deep no protazoan was fine enough to pass. Essentially, we could make a 99% parasite and nitrate/phosphate free water. Does this theory sound fanatical or legitimate. Has anyone else heard of this. Are there any biological engineers present that could input on the "desired area" necessary? I wish I could find half of my old readings.....

2. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Welcome to the club!

3. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I waa reading on Facebook and I believe Bill Wann uses a sand filter for his system.

I have always been curious about it and I def like coming up with different ideas for my system.

Gonna follow this thread

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Sounds kind of like the "DSB in a bucket" idea, have you seen that thread? Big one on RC I think