1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

RO/DI water

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by blackx-runner, Apr 15, 2010.

1. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Looking to fill my tank here in the next week or two. Just waiting on the last couple of goodies to get here. Then the big setup will begin.
    My question is does anyone in the CR area have any extra RO/DI water they could spare to help get me going. I would gladly pay for it. I plan on getting a RO/DI filter in the future. But that may not be for a month or two. The tank is a 40 gallon so its not a ton of water that would be needed.
    If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated. I am really looking forward to getting into the saltwater scene and getting this tank setup.
    David

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Get a couple of 5g jugs and fill them up at Walmart or most any grocery store until you get an RODI system.

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I thought that was just RO water. Will that be fine for the tank? Or is the RO/DI water better?

4. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    I tested the culligan before, it's got trates...
    I didn't want to spend abunch on a ro/di unit, so I took a chance with this one even though others said it wasn't worth it, well after having it a couple months and using it almost 24/7, it was well worth it.. Just skipped the guys dual inline tds and got the 20$ hm off amazon...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/0PPM-Portable-50GPD-Reverse-Osmosis-RO+DI-Water-Filter_W0QQitemZ170457482067QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100313?IMSfp=TL100313132010r3044&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2F0PPM-Portable-50GPD-Reverse-Osmosis-RO%2BDI-Water-Filter_W0QQitemZ170457482067QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100313%3FIMSfp%3DTL100313132010r3044&toolid=10001
    Goto the guys store, he's got a 100gpd for 68$...
    Or if you have the room to mount it, he's got I think a 109$ one with 2 di chambers..
    I lack a bit of pressure but the 100gpd membrane does 96.6% as is..
    I would have gotten the bigger chamber units, but I don't have the room to mount it..
    I just didn't want to spend a couple hundred on a 0ppm unit, though I did see decent prices at the filter guys website, I couldn't pass up 65$ for an entire unit I can switch out parts later /shrug

5. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Most stuff at the stores is RODI, just look at it and read, it will say. They're required to test it and maintain it etc (the water company that the store uses) and I never had a problem with it before I got a system set up. The jugs are nice to store extra water and salt water in too.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Pets playhouse in Cedar Rapids sells ro/di for relatively cheap... I wouldn't recommend 100gpd membanes... Go with a 75 gpd as the higher rejection helps your di resin last longer... 75gpd is more than enough for even large systems...

-JB

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Ok thanks. I will have to go and check it out more closely.

8. Reefdumb

Reefdumb Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will offer tank water to help your tank get started, If nobody else has offerd it.

9. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have to do a 5 gal water change sometime in the next week, let me know when you get it going and I'll give you the stuff I pull from my tank (I know it is not much, but may help).

I also saw a very little cycle by buying live rock and live sand and putting it in the tank from the start.

In Marion, IA.

-Justin

10. Jay Well-Known ReefKeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I would suggest an RO/DI unit, it should pay for itself within the first year easily. I need to do water changes again in all my tanks, so if you can provide buckets or something, you are more than welcome to it, it will be about 40 gallons or so.

11. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    So a couple people have offered up some tank water.
    I am new to the whole saltwater scene so can someone tall me what the benefits are in using some tank water in my new setup. I am assuming it will help it cycle faster. And get a variety of bacteria and other beneficial stuff into the new tank.
    I plan on getting some "dry" sand and seeding it will some live sand. Same thing with the rock. Mix of base rock and live rock. Will tank water also help get the rock and sand "live"?
    thanks for all the offers so far. I will PM you guys when I get ready to fill the tank.
    David