1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Sand or bare bottom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nlandgraf, Oct 27, 2015.

1. nlandgraf

nlandgraf

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The tank is moved, now I am debating whether or not to put sand back in again.

2. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Well I went bare bottom for about a year and a half and I really liked that I could crank all my mp40s on 100% and no sand storm or dead spots. But it just never looked right even after the bottom glass was covered with coraline. If I were gonna go bare bottom again I would put starboard in bottom. But then you can't keep sand dwelling fish or inverts.
    I went back to a shallow sand bed of roughly 1 inch. Looks much better now with sand.

3. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Could paint the back and bottom with flat black paint... But then u will see all the granules of rock... I have a 2 inch sand bed myself.

4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Personally I prefer fine crushed coral. It's to heavy to be blown around, easily vacuumed, and looks natural.

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Whatever paint you use (inside the tank) will likely eventually flake off. I wouldn't paint the inside of the tank. If anything if you want a black bottom, take a sheet of 1/16" or 1/8" black acrylic and just lay it down, no need to even silicone it down, it will stay in place.

6. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Out side of the tank. Lol

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    You can always go bare bottom see how you like it and add sand later.