1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? should I replace Rodi filters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wesly2007, Nov 8, 2015.

1. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I'm currently running a mighty mite 50 gpd from air water and ice. The TDS meter is showing 0.02 ppm. I'm just setting up my 40 gallon and I'm wondering if I need to change my filters or is this a safe level.

2. cameron lake Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +129 / 3 / -0
    i would change them out if i was you.

3. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    .02 isnt much imo. Theres a di on that one correct? I would just change that first

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    My inline TDS meter doesn't even read that low. I usually wait until mine reads 2-3 ppm before I worry about changing it. If it's .02 I don't think I would worry about it yet.

5. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking at the meter and it does say 2 PPM

6. tangers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I would change them if they are reading 2ppm

7. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Couldnt I just be the di resin? Cause when my di is used up I get readings of 2ppm. So I just replace the di

8. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    It may be. But the system is running extremely inefficienly. I think something is wrong with it. Crappy part is I was homing to have the tank filled this weekend. I didn't budget for a new RODI system.

9. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Those are only 50gpd so they are not gonna run very fast for good water. How old are the filters?
    --- Auto-Merged, Nov 8, 2015 ---
    Or when is the last time you replaced them or if you haven't how old is the unit

10. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I replaced the filters 2 years ago but right after my system crashed and I've only used it a few times for my frogs since then.

11. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Hmm... they may need replaced then. But still 2 ppm is better then straight tap water. Try replacing just your di resin to see if that works then save up for new filters

12. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I think I'm going to fill the tank with the water I have now. I may be buying a new RODI.

13. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    2 ppm is not great but not sure why the need to buy a new RODI. Has the filter been back-flushed recently? AWI does recommend that. Replacing filters is less expensive than the entire RODI which is basically the same thing. AWI has usually been pretty good to respond to questions so you might ask them what they think. Plus they frequently give club discounts.
    The tank still has to cycle so you have some time to work on the water.

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    What the TDS out of the membrane?

2 years without replacing DI or prefilters?

15. Nick Graber GIRS Member

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Your RO membrane dosn't remove 100% of TDS The bulk reef supply 75Gallon/ Day membrane removes 99% so in order to tell how it is running you need to measure your incoming TDS and your outgoing TDS to determine if the membrane needs replaced. Odds are if you have 2ppm TDS your just need to replace your DI Resin. The filters before the membrane are used to help extend the life of the membrane by removing large particles from the water and chlorine which damages the membrane. Depending on how often you use your RODI you should be replacing the pre-filters once per year and the membrane like once every 5 years and the DI as needed when it turns from purple to brown. Also when measuring TDS make sure you flsuh your unit out for 5-10 minutes before taking your measurement.

RO Efficiency calculator.
    TDS total dissolved solids water quality testing - TDS Meters and Testers