1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Sick of Cyanobacteria

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Kpotter2, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Been dealing with Cyanobacteria Outbreak for a while now. I finally broke down and ordered new MH bulbs. This has to be the problem. All other I ideas have been explored.
    1> Water flow plenty of this. The Cyano is waving back at me. lol
    2> Nitrates are at 0
    3> Phosphates are present but in check,but always have been and never had problem with Cyano before.
    4>Lighting well I think I am over due on new bulbs. I have replaced my Atanic T5,but I think my MH bulbs are going on 12 months. This was my first thought,but I pushed them as far as I could. I don't think I will do that again!

Phoenix 14k are on the way...

I will keep you all posted!

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Kyle - The new bulbs will probably help a little bit. You might also want to check your RO/DI tds. If I recall, the other day you said you werent using DI and had 4ppm TDS. Seems clean, but it could still be contributing... What do you have for powerheads/flow? High flow usually help a little with cyano.

3. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    So I got my MH Bulbs last week on Friday! Put them in and have them running from 4:30 to 8:30 vs 4:30 to 11pm. I am already seeing a big difference in my Cyano. Its starting to creep away and things are looking good.

@Lee I still have not checked my R/O water. I need to get on that and buy new filters soon. ..

Thanks

KP

4. Tibbsy

Tibbsy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been having the same issue in Coralville - even with ultra pure water from the University is giving me issues.

5. mfisher

mfisher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The lights may help but the p and n are probably the problem. The cyano may suck up your nitrates as fast as its produced, if the cyano abundant. Is it just on the sand? What is your photoperiod? Try dropping it to half for a week and see.

6. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I could be happening that way. How would you know? I have always had Phos in my tank. Well if i turn off lights for 24 hours it almost kills it all off. I also cut back on light because of the new bulbs and it has been cutting back. I also had to change my sump light to come on after all other lights went off at night and tell Morning. This has helped my sump algae very much and cleared up the scum in there. I have no ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. I have added some GFO to help pull phosphates, but phosphate is at the same readings it has always been around .14 to. 17 hanna checker and APi says around .25. Its always this high and never had a problem with cyano like this last 3 months or so. Unless I count the times my bulb as had to be replaced. I need to check my Alk next I am not sure where it has been for a month or so. I am going to start dosing soon i think. Give it a try anyway.

Thanks Matt

I will keep you posted or if you ever want to stop by and check it out let me know. Your more then welcome. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

KP

7. mfisher

mfisher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have phos too i think... Higher with sand beds, it binds to sediment (and the algea occurs where the nutrients or right conditions are). My scrubber has helped a lot though. If my alk sags, my algae increases... Let us know if its low, id be surprised if it wasnt! Drop $100 on a cpl drews dosers and hook it up to the apex... Thats the best thing i ever did for my reef!

8. mfisher

mfisher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have phos too i think... Higher with sand beds, it binds to sediment (and the algae occurs where the nutrients or right conditions are). My scrubber has helped a lot though. If my alk sags, my algae increases... Let us know if its low, id be surprised if it wasnt! Drop $100 on a cpl drews dosers and hook it up to the apex... Thats the best thing i ever did for my reef!

9. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking of using my current ATO for dosing. Is that a bad Idea? I have a two part dosing system from Holiday Party that I won from Bulkreefsupply http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/esv-b-ionic-calcium-buffer-system.html
    Any thoughts on that? It will be my first for dosing, but having the Apex should help a little I hope.

How do you do yours?

10. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you batch dosing kalkwasser?

What happens with dosing large (1/2 gallon at a time) doses of kalkwasser is that it causes dissolved minerals to chelate (po4 in particular) this causes the dissolved components to fall out of dissolution and precipitate falling to the substrate where they feed blooms of algae, and subsequently cyano bacteria.

11. mfisher

mfisher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use brs 2 part and drews dosers slowly dosed thru the day. Its awesome. All i do is check ca and alk from time to time and adjust length of time if needed (check if corals look funny/closed-up, plates or euphyllias are good low-alk indicators).

12. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, Andy and Kyle, both you guys got me thinking! Maybe I'll stop dosing kalk in my top off and just switch to 2 part!! My corals are looking like absolute hell and I'm thinking it's because of trates and po4, even though on my tests they both look okay... I don't think the AIs could be doing it, but who knows!

13. mfisher

mfisher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What is your substrate Clay? Also how much do you feed? Bioload?

Its good to assess your "nutrients in" before all else. What are you denitrifying with? What is your phosphate removal mechanism? They require seperate strategies.

Matt

14. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I just have special grade reef sand from CaribSea. I don't think I overfeed, everything gets eaten. As for bioload, it's not over the top.

Unfortunately, I've been lacking in the field of water changes, but I'm getting back into the habit and have noticed a change already with my zoanthids. As for removal mechanisms, I just have a skimmer. I have a BRS dual carbon/GFO reactor set up, just need to get it plumed in and a stronger return pump to get it working properly (I'm in the process of doing so).

Thanks for hitting me up Matt! I'm not a big fan of asking too many questions on here and I don't want to take over Kyle's thread either! lol! Just kinda putting a feeler out there!

15. mfisher

mfisher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think his thread is hijacked, really. Were talking about the same subject and can learn from it. Let us know if your GFO helps, i'm curious about the link between p and cyano...

It never hurts to cut back on feed anytime you have a bloom. In many cases we probably won't notice any changes in fish fitness. Nutrients in/nutrients out. Most uf us aren't trying to breed or fish, no reason to feed like we are (i'm guilty of this too!)

16. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The link isn't specifically between phosphate and cyano, but really any localized nutrient source. Cyano is the second stage of a localized progression that occurs (and usually reoccurs) when the initial bacteria feed feverishly on a source of food (can be different things for different types of bac) and thereby produce a microcosm where CO2 is highly abundant.

Really the nutrient that kicks off the cycle can be any organic or inorganic compound that has low solubility and precipitates onto substrates. The real way to shoot yourself in the foot here is by using kalkwasser in batches (which is what I used to do). When the pH spikes (locally) the protons that negatively charged compounds/ions associate with are stolen and they [the - compounds] fall out of suspension. Many of them are reabsorbed shortly, others start the cannon! It seemed like it was safe to do this if you were adding it to a sump tho where there was no light, whether your batch dosing or dripping.

17. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hack away! Interesting content .. I am thinking I will start ATO dosing and see what happens,but how do I go about figuring out what i need to add to my ATO water?

18. mfisher

mfisher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats interesting Andy, and makes sense...snowball effect. What you describe still requires high nutrients. P is more likely found bound to sediment than in solution... I'm really interested in understanding how P builds up in systems with sand beds and how it manifests itself.

Kyle, what do you mean? What concentration of kalk?

19. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Matt how do i know what will be the right mix to add to my top off water? Like just add and test? Is there a right way to start out?

20. mfisher

mfisher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Idk, i've never used kalk. How much topoff water does your tank typically add? I suspect you can use concentrated kalk-isn't that what kalk reactors do essentially? Dont take my word fr it tho, ask someone who knows or ask google. I quikly found a ton of good info on this topic. Basically make sure its dissolved, be carefull in dosing too much (e.g. Bagging up a buncha frags) and you should be good to go!