1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Sick of Cyanobacteria

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Kpotter2, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yah just determine how long it takes you to go through (5 gallons? Whatever size reservior your using) and then add that much worth alk then ca in another and set them both up on the same circuit for ato. You should PM Johnk183 about that, it's how he does his system. IDK about kalk. probably with kalk just make a 5 gallon bucket with a partially saturated dose (otherwise you'll get too much fall out on the bottom of the bucket). Then monitor your pH make sure your not spiking or adding too much kalk.

2. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Can I just start out dosing the Alk. I am already adding Purple up for calc every 7 to 10 days. It keeps my water Calc around 480 to 500..
    I then can add the Alk to the ATO 5 gal bucket and dose it. It takes around 2 days or so to use 4 gallons I would say,but I will confirm it first.

I will do more investigating on line and stuff,but just getting some ideas on what others do. What do i make sure my PH stays at?

3. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    as you add alk your ca will go down. Keep an eye on it and try to strike a balance if you're dosing one automatically and the other manually.

4. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I will do both then it may be easier to do that then have one Auto and one manually. I have another Aqua-lifter pump so I can setup another dosing setup.

What do you all try to keep your balance at and where is it really at?

5. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    8-11dkh alk, 380-480ppm ca

6. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Sounds Nice thanks for the range Andy!

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Get a calcium reactor. You're going to want one when you get that big tank up and running.

8. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    You got a cheap one for sale? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

9. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Kyle - You could dose kalkwasser until your demand is greater than what it can replinish...then look at a reactor. You can mix up to 2 teaspoons per gallon of RO and replace it with your top-off water. It's cheap, easy, and BALANCED already. You can use your 2-part to help you make some adjustments until your levels are balanced.

10. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    at this point after having owned and used a calcium reactor for the last 5 years, I would sooner go to a 2 part dosing system and a pair of perisaltic pumps on a timer instead.

11. mfisher

mfisher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rather dose Than a reactor? Arent they easy once you dial it in? I do really like two dosing pumps... I also shoot for andys range almost exactly.

12. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Why is that Andy? I just took down my dosing pumps in favor of the Ca reactor.

13. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think he means instead of dosing Kalk. I've done all three methods in the past (ca reactor, 2 part, & kalk) and Kalkwasser dosing has been the easiest method in my experience. I think the reactor would probably be the easiest in long-term situations ( I always had to move my tank so I never got the reactor dialed in before it was time to move).

14. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is exactly what I DO NOT mean lol. I HAVE to dose kalk (i use kalk rxr)as a result of the CO2 injection from the Ca Rxr. If I don't my pH becomes VERY anemic (like 7.6).

I also have had problems over the years with keeping it working and functioning properly. Most recently I discoverd a piece of plastic broke off inside the pvc piping and was clogging the intake and I wasn't getting any flow through it (random I know).

But the other serious and very regular problems I've had is needle valves siezing, both on the CO2 regulator and on the flow stem of the ca rxr itself. I use a check valve but still have problems with water backflow into my regulator, it corrodes the nickle (best type) needle valve and it has to be replaced every couple years ($25 a pop!), plus I get water in the solenoid and have had to rebuild/replace that a couple of times.

With all the complications and the $450 (minimum) start up cost of getting into a ca rxr, after using one for 5 years I wouldn't do it again. Especially considering I've seen some BEAUTIFUL, wonderful tanks on two part dosing systems.

15. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Man, Andy, you've pretty much sold me on the idea of two part versus a calcium reactor! lol Seems to be way more of a hassle than anything. The big bummer is finding something budget friendly! But what is "budget friendly" in this hobby anyway?? hahaha! Like I've stated, I'm probably just going to switch to two part instead of dosing kalk through my top off.

16. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Since we are on the subject of dosing how would you set it up ? I have an AC3 not a apex so I may be a little more limited on the control part not sure? How do you set up the pumps to dose and still make sure you don't overshoot your mark? DO you set it up with prreset limit and then adjust from there. Or are we relying solely on the ph probe and the controler to register the ph and add the 2 part until the desired level is reach?

I usually just use kalk for my top off but wanted something a little more balanced and consistent.

Thanks guys

17. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So now I have looked into this more and am wondering is your description ( Andy) talking about unfiltered fresh water with phosphates in it or the water column with existing phosphates? I found an article which I will try and share the link that states kalkwasser solution left over 2 days will precipitate 50 percent of the phosphates but in 5 days will precipitate 90 percent. So My question is this , There are phosphates in the Kalk mix or in the water we mix it in or the phosphate in our water column? If its not in the kalk or the water we mix it in( since it should be filtered )then we are talking about the water column right? So would we premix several batches at a time and let them age to prevent the po4 from entering the tank as the article says or are we more worried about the chelated po4 in the water column caused by the addition of the kalkwasser?

In that case if we ran a phosphate reactor or other type of phosphate removal would we still be chelating po4 ? I ask because in setting up my new tank I to have had a fight that I have just about won with cyno as well. I increased the flow (with great help from Dave and his great pump he sold me) and my 2 vortechs. I realized my po4 reactor had become clogged and was not circulating water so the po4 was not being removed.

Sorry I have gone on a lot but really interested in figuring this out.

LInk
    http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diatomandslimemicroalgae/a/Phosphates-In-Your-Saltwater-Aquarium.htm

Could not find the original article so this is from ask.com quoting the article.

18. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First, everything you ever wanted to know about reef chemistry and more:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/subject/chemistry.php

Lots of articles by Randy Holmes Farley. If you ask me there is hardly anyone credible on About.com.

Here Randy talks about the degradation of limewater in a still bucket or anywhere it is exposed to open air for prolonged period of time. What you note is essentially correct: the beneficial components of kalk dosing (other than boosting pH) are essential null unless you're using a sealed nilsen reactor.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/index.php

For the purposes of our previous discussion however, I am referring to phosphates in the water column of your tank. Regardless of whether or not you use GFO, because small amounts of phosphates exist throughout the tank (even if we're talking about 0.05ppm) The result of batch dosing acts to concentrate the phosphates on the substrate below, as well as other ions and compounds that feed bacterial frenzies. Not just phosphates, but there are bacteria that will feed feverishly on things like the trace amounts of cesium, strontium, magnesium, anything that comes out of solution.

Hope that helps!

19. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I never had issues with my 2 part dosing. The only reason I switched was that I was sick of mixing up 2 part. Big tanks go through a gallon of that stuff fairly quickly. In the long run Ca reactor should be cheaper.

20. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You are certainly right in those respects David!