1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Starting my new hobby

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xroads, Feb 19, 2013.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    [​IMG]

My new bee hive came today. Bought a ready made one, and will use it as a pattern to make more. We love honey, and with our orchard and garden it made sense to start bee keeping.

2. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    With as busy as you are already??? Really! Do not know how you do it. Goodluck!!

3. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Looks good! You will like having your own honey, it is so much better than store bought. The bees for the most part are pretty well behaved except when it comes time to harvest the honey. They tend to hold it against you for awhile after harvest time. [​IMG] Thought you might like to see ours. It will be fun to see your progress with the bees!

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Tholton33

Tholton33 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im jealous. Thats my next hobby. Been researching for some time now.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    That is "sweet" Maureen. Now I have someone else I can turn to for help!

The time is now Tholton, bees show up the end of April!

I ordered some more flowering trees and bushes to help give them some more food source, and I have a stream about 50 ft from the hives.

6. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    We keep bees out at the farm as well. 8 hives.....started last year. We bought them for the organic farm....one side benefit was that we found the blackberry harvest last year was 25x what it has been in the past.

I have only been stung twice and I blame myself for both of them.

7. williamh

williamh

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lol, I'm hoping to get out of town to do permaculture, bees are one of my current research items. Anyone needing help in the spring? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

William

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    What is permaculture? Lots of people have bees in towns and cities anymore.

9. ScubaTodd

ScubaTodd Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would recommend this film if you have any interest in bees.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze9qxhQ65O4&feature=player_embedded

10. williamh

williamh

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm going to butcher this but,

According to the Merriam-webster dictionary Permaculture is an agricultural system or method that seeks to integrate human activity with natural surroundings so as to create highly efficient self-sustaining ecosystems. Its a self-sufficient green movement involving knowledgeable people like Paul Wheaton and Sepp Holzer.If you are interested, permies.com is kind of a cool website.

I'm not trying to topic change. Kind of like like mini ecosystems. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif Sorry

11. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Buzzzzzzzz.......mmm..... Honey! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif