1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? T5 Bulb Selection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drewster, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Drewster

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I'm planning on adding some t5's to my 20g reef that is mainly SPS. Im running an AI Sol over it right now but want to supplement with a couple t5's to see if I can boost color and growth. What do people recommend for bulb selection that'll help kick things up a notch? :) I'm thinking ATI bulbs but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

2. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
  3. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Blue plus and coral plus or blue plus and purple plus. If you go with geisemann bulbs go actinic blue and super purple. If you go kz bulbs go super blue and Fiji purple. I use ATI Bulbs.
    --- Auto-Merged, Nov 7, 2015 ---
    Put blue in front.

4. Drewster

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    That's what I was leaning towards was a blue plus and a purple plus. I see a lot of people run the coral plus though so I wasn't sure.

5. tangers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I was always a fan of blue plus and kz Fiji purple together.

6. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Coral plus is a good bulb. But I have found better coloration especially reds and pinks with purple plus.
    The Fiji purple is like $6 more or something like that. Looks almost the same as purple plus. I like the Fiji but when I was replacing 8 bulbs and 2 of them are $30 a piece I go with the ati.

7. cameron lake Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +129 / 3 / -0
    @Armydog@Armydog i know he is doing a combo of ai's an t5s i personaly like them all lol. they all work good its all on your prospective man im going to try the link two the vidio of all ati bulbs for you

8. cameron lake Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +129 / 3 / -0
  9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I ran blue plus, coral plus, purple plus, and actinic when I had my t5s and Sol blues. Coloration and growth seemed much better with supplemental t5s. Being as how the sols lacked in the red spectrum is why I went with the purple plus and actinic.

10. Drewster

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Excellent guys, thanks. This is the well rounded and informative feedback I was hoping for. Out of all the different forms of lighting I've had over the years, t5's are the only style I never tried.

11. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I personally have 2 blue plus, 2 coral plus and 4 hydra 26s now but I plan to change out the coral plus with either actinic or 2 more blue plus since the hydra 26s have the red spectrum

12. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    I cant find ATI bulbs anywhere in iowa city is there a store that has them in iowa city or cedar rapids or do you have to order them online?

13. Drewster

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I was just planning on ordering them from BRS. They're so good with shipping so I'm hoping for no broken bulbs upon delivery.

14. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    That's where I get my bulbs at. I have bought a lot of bulbs and only 1 time I had a delivery and all the bulbs were broke. I call brs next day and they said throw in trash and the shipped right away. I had tracking number in 15 minutes after my call. That is only time I have ever had a problem and was fixed in minutes.

15. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I don't know of anywhere local that might have them. BRS is probably your best bet. Should have them Tuesday if you get them ordered right away.

16. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Ok thanks @jeremy@jeremy and @blackx-runner@blackx-runner just was trying to see if there was a local source for them but that's cool brs has some other toys i could probably buy lol

17. Drewster

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Thought I would post an update on this. I decided to add four t5's as supplement light and I went with 2 blue plus, a purple plus, and an actinic. I must say I'm rather shocked by how much light these provide. I thought it would be much more blue than what it is. I've only had them up and running for a little over a week but everything seems to be responding well.
    My only grip is I'm surprised by the heat generated by the t5's! Just put two cooling fans in the canopy so hopefully they can disapate this. I guess I've just gotten used to my LEDs that don't really generate heat. :joyful:

@MadManMadrid@MadManMadrid, I ordered the ati bulbs from BRS on a Monday morning and had them Tuesday using just their free shipping! Bulbs were packed great too, no issues as always with them.

18. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    How long are you running your t5? Any way to run 2 bulbs like actinic and blue for a couple hours then all 4 for a couple then down to blue and a ctinic then off. That should help with heat. And maybe some vent holes some where in canopy with computer type fans on a timer when t5 are on.

19. Drewster

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I've been running them for 8 hrs to match the Sol when its ramped up for the daylight cycle. Im running a Workorse ballast so unfortunately I can only run all 4 at once. My canopy is almost 10" high and the back is mostly open. I added two fans today, one in each side so I'm hoping it helps. So far today it seems to be doing the trick.

20. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Cool. You can also run the t5 for 5 or 6 hours that should help to. I run halides for 5 hours and t5 for 10. Found that if I run them too long corals will get pale.