1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

the start of my military adventure

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nano10, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Nano10

Nano10 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So today I talked to the recruiter on the phone and I scheduled a meeting with him friday morning. I am planning to enlist in the national guard.

2. areefoffaith

areefoffaith Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thank you for helping to keep us all free

3. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good for you. My wife and I met in the Navy. She is a recruiter now. If you want any insider advise, please PM me.

4. Vintonian

Vintonian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You have a great opportunity in front of you if you decide to take it.

The one thing that I do tell everyone before they sign the papers, be aware of recruiters' tricks. They are allowed to "lie" in order to get you signed up. All recruiters don't do this, but the fact that even some do is something to be aware of. Do a Google search of "military recruiter lies" just to make sure you go to the meeting with a good head on your shoulders.

Other than to be cautious with the recruiter, the only other advice I can give is to seize every opportunity the military gives you when you are enlisted. I personally am an Air Force Academy dropout, and I left a lot on the table when I decided to go home. I missed out on opportunities that I will never have again because I wasn't in the right mindset when I was there.

5. Nano10

Nano10 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif I will keep that in mind and what branch do you honestly suggest?

6. bearsareawsome Well-Known ReefKeeper

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Depends what you want to go. Every branch has there goods and bads. I am a navy reserves currently and have been for 4 years. I have had great opportunities through the whole thing. I you don't mind being away from friends and family then going active duty is amazing.

7. Vintonian

Vintonian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    They all have their strong and weak points. Air Force is a pretty laid back environment compared to others. If you're claustrophobic stay away from the navy, otherwise make sure you shop around if you're not 100% certain on a branch.

8. Railcar79

Railcar79 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was Army Reserves, best choice I ever made.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  9. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't feed into navy steriotypes. They have a wide range of jobs and most will never spend any time on a ship. I went to iraq never served on a ship, although I wanted to. They also have more aircraft than the airforce. The big branches are navy and army. They have the widest range of functions. The marines are realitively small and operate within the dept of navy. The airforce is the smaller arm of the army. Personally i would go navy or marines if I could do it all over again. Army after that.

10. IowaJeeping

IowaJeeping

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have friends and family in all branches of the military. Like everyone said they all have their good and bad. I heard less bad about the Air Force as in my sister just retired from there and my brother in law is a senior chief master Sargent I think. I have a lot of buddies in the national guard and they love it. It's not "full time" like the others branches and its a good place to start. Do your research and what jobs you would like to do and go talk to all the recruiters

11. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We all can agree that the Air Force has the plushes living arrangements.

12. IowaJeeping

IowaJeeping

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lol true but then again my buddy is in the army living it up in Hawaii lol

13. Nano10

Nano10 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I want to be in the national guard. I'm just wondering can I be military police after basic and ait or is there a specific place mps go

14. IowaJeeping

IowaJeeping

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That I don't know you would have to talk to the recruiters about that. Also I assume that all would depend maybe on the testing also

15. Nano10

Nano10 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's what I was thinking. Well thanks/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

16. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    MPs are everywhere, in every branch. You will most likely drill at the closest location to you so that they are not wasting money on travel. The job you get will be based on what's available at the time you enlist. You can usually choose between a few options. Why national guard over army reserves?