1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Thoughts on (Red Sea Salt) No Bashing please!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ray/Jen_Reefin, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    I was always in wonder on this product, This past weekend I visited another member in Ia City. and I was floored when I seen the tank, Little maintained, and water changes on a bi-week. that tank was phenomenal. No dosing just Red Sea Salt. What are your thoughts, and input on the product?

2. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I've never used it but tagging along for others feedback

3. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0

Screenshot_2015-08-18-06-14-56-1.png

4. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0

Screenshot_2015-08-18-06-15-02-2.png

5. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    ^^^^^^ Quote from a Review from Amazon,

6. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    It's always tempting to switch but I remember there being a study where an analysis company ran test samples for all different salt mixes. You might want to see if you can find that study. @Turbo's Aquatics@Turbo's Aquatics might know where to find it. He's better at finding that stuff than I.

7. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
  8. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I like to get a salt that mixes close to the parameters I keep in my tank. In large systems it don't change parameters much if they are different but smaller systems it causes a swing. I have heard that people that run lower alkalinity tend to use the regular red sea salt. Others that like the boost from elevated alkalinity and calcium run the pro.
    I have never used this salt so it's all in what have heard. I personally use something close to what my alk cal and mg mix to.
    I have never heard anything bad about it.

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I didn't read that whole article word for word, maybe someone can tell me though, do they address the fact that IO makes 200g but at the wrong salinity (1.023) for reefkeeping, versus others that actually make 1.026 water at the recommended mixture? Like Aquavitro, probably RSP, and Bio-Sea Marine, and likely a few others? this throws off the cost/gallon factor because a box of IO mixes up to 160 gallons at 1.026 not 200g. I've known this for a long time (1 bag = approx 40-42 gallons). So you adjust $52/box by 200/160 = $65/box, equivalent cost to another mix that actually mixes up 1.026 for 160g. I don't think this article addresses that at all. They also don't explain what salinity those readings are taken at. I think there is another article that does this though.

10. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Aqua vitro salinity mixes 1.026 225 gallons.

11. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Isnt that like $90 a bucket @jeremy@jeremy

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  12. MillerTime Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I tried the Red Sea Coral pro salt for awhile and went back to Reef Crystals afterwards. I felt the Alk levels in Red Sea were crazy high. My coral also responded negatively to it. It may have been something else at the time or I got a bad batch, but I wouldn't do it again. There are however many positive reviews on it.

13. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Heres a study that was done comparing different salts to NSW levels

images-1.jpeg

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    If it is, then price adjusting it to 160 gallons:

$90 * (160/225) = $64 equivalent for 160 gallons

15. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    I keep forgetting about this fact. I didn't even consider it when I was just now looking at the differences between the two mixes. This may have me switch because not mixing for 24 hours has a certain appeal to it.

16. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I found salinity for $75 online but took a bit to find it on Google

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  17. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    The article I posted was fairly basic. You can really go in depth if you want to, the articles are out there if you dig a little. I stock up and buy Red Sea Pro Coral on sale so the price is more comparable to cheaper brands. I have not used IO for sometime because I do not like the way it mixes and I am sure it is because I am not as great about mixing in advance as I should be.

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I always thought that you had to mix for 24 hours in order to allow some time for the mixture to stabilize. I don't honestly know where I heard that though.

With brands like Red Sea and Bio Sea and others saying that you actually don't want to continue to mix past 2 hours (there is a video demonstrating this posted in another thread here recently), this really turned the tables for me. Being able to just have up-to-temp RODI and then a short mix period makes things a lot easier than dealing with a 55g Brute sitting there mixing all day.

19. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    And if you're paying the same or similar price for a slightly better product, I think the mixing time is the reason it's a winner.

20. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0