1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Thoughts on (Red Sea Salt) No Bashing please!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ray/Jen_Reefin, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  2. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Yes salinity is $90 a bucket. I have never really checked how many gallons a bucket I get. I will do that when I open up next bucket.

Mixes in about 2 hours. If left mixing for several days alk and call parcipatate out and leave residue in mixing barrel.

I used to mix and leave sit for a week but I no longer do this for this reason. I would eventually like to setup an auto water change system and would have barrel on hand mixed and ready. So when I am out of salt I will be switching.
    It is good salt I have been using for over 2 years. I like to keep my tanks around 8 dhk 420 cal and around 1400 mg. Salinity 1.026

3. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
  4. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Yes. I dose Bulk Reef Supply calcium, alkalinity, magnesium. I buy their bulk 5 gallon buckets.
    On my sps tank I dose a lot but my 40b full of LPS only around 20ml a day of each.
    When I first started keeping sps in my 120 I hardly dosed any using salinity but everything took off growing and I dose quite a bit.

5. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    what happens when you mix these salts too long?
    I run an autowater change and just keep a pump running in the barrel at all times to mix. Currently just using IO.

6. DNW

Jesup, IA
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Curious on this myself, i have noticed a brown residue in my storage tank for my auto change setup. Currently soaking to try to remove residue and was only going to run pump for a couple hours and then test the salt mix over the first few days/ week. Usual batch last about 3 weeks.

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    This is pretty typical of Instant Ocean, one of the reasons I am going to stop using it

9. DNW

Jesup, IA
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to throw this thread off topic but any idea on how to get rid of it? Got a 3 to 1 vinegar/water in it right now.

10. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Reef crystals also leaves a residue.
    My personal experience with Bio-sea marine is i make a 44g brute container every week there was not much change from when i made the water to when i had to make more water in a weeks time. I leave a powerhead on all the time in the mixing container

11. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I just let the brown residue settle. Even with a pump running it settles. And every couple months I dump the bottom little bit of water and cap out then rinse with water and refill.

When left mixing I tested a batch after a week and alk was 6.5 and calcium was below 400. I didn't check anything else but would assume pH and MG would be low also.

I would like a salt that mixes around 9 dhk 420ish cal and 1350 or more MG at 1.026.

I have recently been mixing saltwater 2 hours prior to use and it has been working well.
    --- Auto-Merged, Aug 18, 2015 ---
    I forgot to add when I do a water change I pump newly mixed water into my filter sock so any residue will be caught.

12. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Hey Bud. What salt mix are you going to? I know when I am out of salinity I am switching. I am gonna try that bio marine sea stuff. A while back I almost switched to the regular Red Sea bucket but I am gonna try bio sea and see how it goes.

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I had a 100g storage tank that was used to make IO and it was nasty on the inside. I took a broom handle, tied an old sock around it, and soaked it in vinegar and then used that to scrub the stuff off. Mixed in some hot hot hot water also. Took a while, but it all came off. You need to apply straight vinegar to it, that's the trick - using vinegar diluted in water won't do it, and you have to scrub also.

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    got a box of BSM last week, still need to crack it though. Interestingly enough it comes in one big bag instead of several smaller bags.

15. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    [​IMG]

16. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Now to read all these thread's.

17. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Let me know how you guys like it Ray and Bud.

18. wouldtick Well-Known ReefKeeper

waukee
    Ratings:
    +85 / 3 / -0
    Put in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid!

19. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    I guess the next question is can I gradually add this to my existing system at like maybe 5 gallons at a time? for a slow merge, and babysit the readings? I would be afraid if I do a water change much more than that I could possibly shock all the corals or maybe even nuke them.. Thoughts?

20. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    What I did when i switched salts was 3 cups of old salt and 2 cups of new. Imo you should slowly switch