1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! water parameters

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by wesly2007, Dec 15, 2015.

1. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I just started my tank 5 weeks ago. It cycled great all parameters were where they are suppose to be. So I drove an hour and a half to two stores in the QC and purchased 1 clown fish from each. Brought them home, and slowly acclimated them. Two days later I find my first one dead in the tank. At this time I chalked it up to possibly a sick fish from the beginning. Never ate any food and hid all the time. I immediately removed the body and did a small water change. It sux but these things happen in the hobby.
    Two days later (today) I get home and find my Black snowflake clown dead in the rock work. After I lost the other one the snowflake started hiding and stopped eating. I tested my water parameters and the are spot on where they need to be.

PH 8.0
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 0 ppm

I'm at a loss here. Does someone have a more accurate test kit than the API marine test kit?

2. Placid

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +60 / 2 / -0
    Make sure you shake the nitrate test kit VERY well and follow directions to the T. My question would be on water temp, correct salinity and oxygen levels...?

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0