1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What movie to see this weekend?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xroads, Jan 13, 2010.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Gonna stay in CR fri nite as our plan leaves at 6:30 in the morning (also it gives us 1 more night with no kids)
    Gonna catch dinner & a movie, any recomendations?
    Thanks
    Craig

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you have not seen Avatar, that's what I would recommend. Sherlock Holmes was a disappointment for me.

And speaking of Avatar, I just read an article about how the visuals in the movie are so amazing, that some people are now claiming to have Avatar induced depression after seeing the movie and realizing that Pandora is not real Hahaha. Read this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100112/en_huffpost/420605

Enjoy your trip!!

--AJ

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Without a doubt if you haven't seen it already, go see Avatar.

-JB

4. cowdust9

cowdust9 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    avatar is cool in 3d and day breakers was pretty cool to

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Avatar is pretty freekin' awesome! Too bad they closed the IMAX down there.

6. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The IMAX didn't close by choice, the Cedar took care of that for us.  No movie ideas for you Craig but if you needed a place for food and martinis, I know one of those.  Where are you two headed for vacation?

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, for some reason I was thinking it closed due to lack of revenue, then it got hit by the flood.  Either way, it's too bad.  I love seeing films in IMAX, especially 3D films!

8. Steph & Nick

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well yeah due to some misuse of funds by an employee it had a temporary break, but it would be going now if the water hadn't had other ideas.

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Heading to Hawaii.

I better not hit any martinis since our flight leaves early.

What is the address there again?

10. Steph & Nick

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    1125 3rd street se

11. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "The Book of Eli" looks like a good one.

I must be the only person that wasn't at all amazed by avatar. Don't get me wrong, it was well done, but not in a single seen did I feel like the world was all that real. Just way too much hype IMO.

12. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought the Book of Eli looked like it would be a good movie.  I liked the previews, but my wife didn't...so I think I'll end up having to wait until it comes out on DVD.
    Did you see Avatar in 3D?  One of the things that I really enjoyed about Avatar was the creativity that went into things....the creatures, the machines, the planet in general.  The story line was middle of the road for me...predictable and seemed a bit politically motivated.  Anyway, I really enjoyed it overall.  I would give it a solid "A" grade.  Not quite an "A+", but still pretty darn good.
    --AJ

13. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Yes book of Eli looks cool, most Denzel movies are good.

Daybreakers & up in the air looks good as well.

Gonna catch 3d Avatar tonight if we can.

14. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I actually did see it at a 3D IMAX when I was visiting my family in California for Christmas break. Perhaps the mere price of the ticket was the first sucker punch of many LOL. The movie overall reminded me of a mix of things from final fantasy games (the world) to the matrix/star wars (the machines). Honestly, nothing was terribly unique, which isn't necessarily BAD, but that is definitely what they are hyping it as. At the end of the day the technology used to meld real life actors into CG characters was the coolest part for me, but again I didn't think it was worth the hype. The story was rather generic I thought and I feel telling a great story is really what a movie needs to do first and foremost. To some degree, the movie Final Fantasy The Spirits Within comes to mind in that the visuals were gorgeous but the storyline was lacking, all-be-it to a much lesser extent with Avatar.

15. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I didn't see that movie you're talking about. If it was as good as Avatar, sounds like I need to add it to my Netflix queue.

--AJ

16. Jay Well-Known ReefKeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Avatar is most definitely a must see and it is kid friendly, my daughters are 10 and 7 and both loved it.