1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Who's going to see the eclipse, and where?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bud, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Depending on the forecast, I'm going down to somewhere around Cameron MO. Really hoping the forecast changes, or else it might not be worth going

2. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    Wherever the Boss tells me to work today is where I'll be,...but I'm taking my welding helmet with me so I can see what I can see wherever I am.:)

3. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    LOL I just saw a snapshot of the traffic southbound on I35. Total gridlock.

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    There is a 2-3 mile stretch of I35S just south of DSM that is construction and that's where the delay is. Either way, I bagged it. If i can't see it on at least something close to a clear sky, maybe some non-occluding clouds here and there, it's not worth it. I'll start making 2024 plans!

5. danmgray Well-Known ReefKeeper

Sioux City, IA
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    The weather in Sioux City was cooperative, so I took a long lunch to run home and enjoy the experience with my kids and nephew. All the special glasses were sold out in town and all of our welding lenses at work wer #10, so... We made a couple pinhole projectors using cardboard boxes instead.
    [​IMG]
    Surprisingly, they worked really well.
    [​IMG]
    I also tried to take a couple picutures with my cell phone--the sun was too bright, but I caught a pretty good reflection in the lense (lower left corner).
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    As it turned out, I should have gone and it has ruined my day. My stepdaughter was in KC for soccer this weekend & stayed, she was in Excelsior Springs. I'm glad she got to see it because I convinced her to ask her dad to stay another day.

It would have been a roll of the dice and I'm pretty sure I would have ended up somewhere with no view. But I could have also seen this:

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3127.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_3130.JPG

IMG_3131.JPG

Triggered

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Turns out, it was cloudy and raining right up to just a bit before totality, then it cleared off. Then clouded up again right after!

So it would have been a huge roll of the dice. Made me feel better.