1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Wii Modding

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gered, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I know Waverz posted up some modding chips a while back and broke out into quite the discussion. My question is has anyone modded their Wii to play DVD's? I would like to have another DVD source and I came across some stuff saying it is possible but I have no idea where to start. Main thing is I do not want to ruin it in the process or tear into it to much.

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Mine plays DVD's usiing MPlayer CE and DVDX, IMO it will just make your Wii's DVD drive wear out faster. I would just get s standalone DVD player or better yet a HTPC to play DVD's.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Oh and I still have that chip, $25 and its yours. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

4. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well if its going to make the drive wear out I will probably pass. I just figured I would give it a go if its not hard to do. To think about it I do not even own a stand-a-lone dvd player sense I have 2 gaming systems that play dvds and blu-ray on one.

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You actually don't even need a chip anymore to mod your Wiis, it can all be done as a soft mod via the SD card slot. Some of the newer games actually require this type of mod to be playable on a burned disc. As Waverz said though, the drive does have a higher tendency to wear out (based on others experiences I have read about) and my understanding is the discs have to run faster and longer when playing a DVD. If your sole desire is a dvd player, this can also be done easily with the softmod, but it might be a better idea to just get an inexpensive stand alone dvd player. One of the neat things about the softmod is you can load games/movies/music/etc. onto an external hard drive and play them right off of that when plugged into one of the Wiis USB drives.