1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Windows 7

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JB, Jan 16, 2010.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else using it yet?
    I've got Ultimate on my desktop and home premium on my laptop (both 64 bit).   So far I'm pretty impressed.   It has a lot of really nice new features and lacks many of the annoying things about Vista (slow loading, etc).
    -JB

2. Matt

Matt Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea Ive got it on my Dell all in one touch.  Love it to death!  Take some time to get used to it, but the layout of everything is nice.  The bottom toolbar is nice how it shows you the multiple pages that you are on when you scroll over it. 

3. Diesel Powered

Diesel Powered Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been looking to pick up a new 'puter in the near future. I'm running vista now with no real complaints other than being slow at times.
    JB- since you're running both ultimate and home, have you noticed any other "hidden" features or advantages of going to the ultimate over the home? As far as the simple feature comparison goes, I can't see any real advantages for what I do. Is the "domain join" anything special or just an automated utility for people that don't have any networking skills?

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got the beta on two of our laptops and the final release on our Media Center. The beta was pretty good, but not as stable as the final release. Our Media Center has not been reboot for any reason but patching for a very long time. Before (on XP - Vista would never install right on that hardware), it was maybe once week due to a lockup or something.

--AJ

5. Matt

Matt Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea I have the full verison on my Dell. There is stuff I proablly will never figure out on it, and am still trying to find out a couple opitions on it. Defintally watch the tutorial on the flick, and swipe stuff defintally makes looking at two windows awesome.

6. Matt

Matt Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea I have the full verison on my Dell. There is stuff I proablly will never figure out on it, and am still trying to find out a couple opitions on it. Defintally watch the tutorial on the flick, and swipe stuff defintally makes looking at two windows awesome.

7. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Here's a neat trick (supposed to work in Vista as well) called God Mode.
    Create a new folder (on desktop) and name it :
    GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Copy and paste the whole string as listed as the new folder name.  Once that is done, the folder's icon will change to resemble a control panel and will contain dozens of control options.
    [​IMG]
    You get the idea.
    -Eric

8. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I've been running the public beta rtm build 7100 Ultimate since Sept with no issues.
    I'm not one for widely used software, and now that Windows 7 is released I'll probably dual boot to Linux (my wife needs Windows) until I can find a stable version of the next Windows OS to test (most likely in  2011).  The license on the beta expires in a few months and I don't know whether I'll buy it or go back to Vista.
    It's been very stable for me and has some nice speed enhancements over Vista, which wasn't that slow after SP1 (pre-SP1 caused all of the negative press).
    Granted, I don't run near the variety of software that I used to years ago, but it's been suiting me just fine.
    IE8
    Firefox
    Picasa
    Photoshop CS4
    Various DVD burning software
    -Eric

9. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Posted By Eric on 01/17/2010 01:26 AM
    Here's a neat trick (supposed to work in Vista as well) called God Mode.
    Create a new folder (on desktop) and name it :
    GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Copy and paste the whole string as listed as the new folder name.  Once that is done, the folder's icon will change to resemble a control panel and will contain dozens of control options.
    You get the idea.
    -Eric
    Very cool!  Thanks for sharing.  I am very happy with Windows 7 - I had nothing but issues (S-L-O-W being top of the list) with Vista....absolutely the worst product MS has ever introduced IME!

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Running Home Premium 64bit on all my machines here at home. Seems to be very stable and is a nice change from XP.

Whats up with this Homegroup stuff though? Is it really just basically workgroup with more sharing privledges?

11. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Dave on 01/17/2010 06:12 AM
    Very cool!  Thanks for sharing.  I am very happy with Windows 7 - I had nothing but issues (S-L-O-W being top of the list) with Vista....absolutely the worst product MS has ever introduced IME!
    C'mon now - didn't you ever run Windows ME?
    Strange thing with Vista is that I ran betas up until the official launch, and the final product was significantly slower than the betas until  SP1.  It never crashed (BSOD) and I didn't have software/hardware issues.  Granted the betas were on homebuilt machines and the retail was on my current Gateway box that I found was cheaper with Vista than building a new machine from scratch.  First OEM machine I've had since my first PC - Packard Bell in 1995 with a Pentium 60/8mb ram/420 mb hd/Win 3.11 - everything else I've built.
    Win7 does have a nice solid feel to it and it quite a bit more responsive after a few registry/running services tweaks...it would be faster without the eye candy but I kinda like the Aero...
    -Eric

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Waverz,

Do you use iTunes at all? My wife's computer is still ussing Vista (32bit) and unfortunately, it also serves as our main Media Server. We use iTunes a lot and it does not seem like the "Home Sharing" feature in iTunes likes to talk between 32bit and 64bit OS's.

I haven't taken the time to mess with the "Home Group" stuff quite yet, but it sounds like it's just sharing made a bit easier...

-JB

13. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been using it for a while now, although I can't say my experience is any different from Vista, as I had no issues with Vista :)